❝We Failed To Save You In The End❞

"Stella, drop it." I begged her as she parked her car in front of the building.

"Come on Nix, the signs are obvious. Jace has a thing for you. So do something about it." she chastised me like a mother would do.

"She's right sweetie. This Jace boy sounds taken with you." my mom chimed in.

"Mom, not helping." I deadpanned. I still wasn't convinced Jace's intentions were pure. There was still doubts about his true nature, so I was skeptical of him.

The prospect of Jace liking me seemed unlikely and completely cruel, if my hunch about him was real. Because if he was Blair's new henchmen, then I had to keep my eyes peeled for that one.

"All we're trying to say is, that Jace is a nice boy-"

"A fine Boy and we want you to live a little." Stella cut in, pushing me out of the car so I could go to group.

"You're insane." I decided before walking away from the psychos in the red mini cooper.

"If you leave your heart open, love can find its way in!" My mom shouted out the window humiliating me. She really needed to stop watching those jewelry commercials. They were making a sap out of her.

I lowered my head in embarrassment and jogged into the building. My mom and Stella had accomplished the impossible. I was actually looking forward to group therapy.

Anything to get away from those oxygen deprived cavemen.

"If it isn't my favorite spit fire." I heard him say from behind me. "Phoenix, it's been ages." he said, as if that was true.

"I literally saw you last night when you fell asleep on my couch during The Little Mermaid." I deadpanned, walking ahead to join the rest of the crazies.

"You can only watch that movie so many times before 'Poor Unfortunate Soul' becomes your life's anthem." Jace retorted opening the door for me. "Are you still up for some hardcore baking, later?" he asked me eagerly. I furrowed my brows and sidestepped away from him.

"How's it hardcore? It's baking Jace." I shook my head finding a seat in the already crowded circle.

"Well it's baking with a flaming cake....I'd say that's pretty hardcore." He smirked taking the seat next to me.

"Sorry Mr.Stone, you won't be sitting in on this meeting." Donovan said upon seeing Jace. Both Jace and I looked confused when Donavan cleared things for us, "Today the group is going to do some trust discussions and we ask the volunteers to give us space."

"Lucky." I muttered under my breath. Jace shot me an unimpressed look but gave his attention back to Donavan.

"I guess I'll just head out then." Jace muttered rubbing his neck. "I'll see you tomorrow then Phoenix?" he asked.

I really didn't want to go to his house. Maybe I was being irrational. Maybe it was my instinct paranoia, but I didn't feel as comfortable with Jace as I had learned to be before.

But he did nothing wrong.

Yet. A small voice said, the same voice that had plagued my mind in my darkest hours.

"Yeah...I'll see you later." I nodded, fighting against the small voice.

__________

I passed the box of tissues to the left of me. The curly red headed girl blew into it and I had to resist the urge to grimace.

Emotional people made me uncomfortable...more so than usual.