Prologue

The Lady's Butler

(Prologue)

"Is this where you work, Papa? It's amazing!" 5-year-old Kyrano Reyes asked as he held on tightly to his father's hand, wide eyes of amazement looking around at the mansion. This was the same place that the Master Oscar Crawford lived in?

Kyrano Reyes knew that he came from the family of Reyes that had served the family of Crawford for many generations. It was tradition that the men of Reyes would be butlers of the Masters of Crawford. It was a job that Kyrano grew up knowing that he would have to fulfil someday, but at the moment, in his young five year old self, he had never been introduced to this job that was expected of him.

Kyrone Reyes wore his stately ironed, clean-cut butler's coat with the usual ease –an attire that Kyrano was used to seeing his father in. Never had Kyrone ever brought his son to his workplace, because he knew that once he brought Kyrano in, then his son's life would forever be sold into the Crawford's household. And though it was a fact that could not be disputed, Kyrone had hoped that his son would be given more time to enjoy his childhood. But the Crawfords didn't let it go –just like how Kyrone wasn't let go years ago either. When Kyrone himself was five, he remembered being as innocent and wide-eyed as his son was now, his father luring him in.

"Kyrano," Kyrone paused by the gate, "remember that once you are a butler, you will be a butler forever. Don't try to fight it, because it will only bring heartbreaks."

"Okay, Papa!" Kyrano, ever so innocent, agreed easily, not even pausing to ask why heartbreaks would be caused if a butler fought his position. "I will be the best butler in the world like Papa!"

"What does the best butler in the world always say?" Kyrone asked his son as they continued their journey into the mansion –where they would meet Master Oscar Crawford, and Kyrano would, for the first time, meet his young mistress.

"The happiness of the master or mistress is the happiness of the butler!" Kyrano replied enthusiastically, and even though Kyrone regretted that his son's life of being a butler had officially begun, he was still proud of the young prodigy. He had no doubts that his son would fare well at the Butler training academy –given Kyrano's agility and wits. His son was, in actual fact, was equipped the best set of potential for the best butler, and Kyrone could only pray that his son would do well.

"Alright, from now onwards, I need to you keep quiet. Master Oscar does not like children making too much noise." Kyrone warned his son –the advice taken into heed immediately as the young boy sobered up. With the ability to interchange between conflicting emotions so quickly, Kyrone knew that his son would be able to survive well in the heartless world that he was about to plunge Kyrano into.

The utter obedience of Kyrano was born in the Reyes's family blood, and Kyrone only sighed at the resemblance of himself in his young son. In a few moments more, Kyrano would no longer be his son, but the newest butler-in-training. As heartless as how his own father Kiran had thrown him into the family of Crawford to learn to survive being a butler, Kyrone regretted that he would have to do the same thing to his son.

"Remember to greet your master and mistress anytime you meet them and don't look them in the eye." Kyrone reminded, and his son nodded clearly.

"Never speak out of line, and obey the wishes of your master and mistress, both spoken and unspoken." Kyrano continued to chant quickly, the young mind already understanding things so complex. Kyrone remembered struggling hard in his first few years as a butler-in-training, never understanding the words of the chant until much later.