Separation Arc {Part 7}

(Part 7)

Kyrano exited from the car, waiting patiently for the chauffeur to receive his belongings from the trunk. It did not take long, and soon Kyrano had his bag in hand as the chauffeur bowed lowly while he passed with a short gesture of thanks. Walking straight through familiar doors, the Kyrano that had now returned to St. Clair was not the same man who had walked out.

At the gate, Butler Maiko awaited his arrival. There was a marked expression of pride glinting in Maiko's cold eyes, and Kyrano met them fearlessly, black eyes completely expressionless.

"Head Butler Maiko." He greeted with a deep, polite bow. "I trust that you and Miss Louise are well?"

"Yes," The butler answered, and there was satisfaction on that tone. As butlers, they were supposed to address their young mistress as the first subject of priority, but here Kyrano was, addressing Maiko as the more important between the two. "We are doing quite well. I am thankful that you are well enough to come back to serve the lady."

"Certainly." Kyrano answered humbly once more. "A Head Butler should never be far away from his Master."

"Remember your teachings, young one." Maiko said haughtily, then picked up the bag that had been resting on the ground by his feet, turning to make towards the awaiting car that was to fetch Maiko back to the Main House. Pausing so that their shoulders almost touched each other, and they faced opposite directions, Maiko made sure that no one was around to hear his departing whisper.

"Remember your mission well."

"Understood." The answer that came was in an equally quiet whisper, and Maiko, satisfied, started on his journey back to his Master.

Kyrano's hidden blade underneath his sleeve itched, but he gave it little care as he began his journey to his lady. As he walked past the garden, he was rather surprised to find a lady standing before him, a bright glint in her eyes that matched her brilliant smile as well. Her butler Scott stood behind her as well, carefully schooling his expression but also betraying a welcoming smirk.

"Kyrano!" Miss Rowena expressed happily. "You're back!"

"Indeed, Miss Rowena." Kyrano bowed politely in greeting. "I am glad to once again be of service to Miss Louise and the school."

"I do hope that you are well." The woman asked with a hint of concern, but Kyrano shook his head respectfully.

"I am fully well and recovered. Thank you for the concern, Miss Rowena." Kyrano answered respectfully again. He had expected for the short conversation to stop there, for him to be allowed back to his mistress's side, but it appeared that Rowena had more to say in the way she hung around uncertainly, her face betraying a want to say more.

"Is there anything more, Miss Rowena?" Kyrano obliged to ask, and the woman seemed utterly grateful for his prompt.

"You know, Kyrano, I heard..." She hesitated, looked around and then stepped closer while lowering her voice. "I heard that you were absent because you were caught kissing Louise. I'm in no place to care for business in the Crawford family, but I'll just give you fair warning. That butler that served Louise while you were away? Maiko? I remember him –he was an assassin for hire when I was younger. My uncle... my uncle hired him before."

"Is that so, Miss Rowena?" Kyrano answered mildly, doing his best to pretend his surprise. "Butler Maiko, no matter his past, has been a rather capable butler in his servitude to Crawford. Has he done anything beyond his butler means during his duration serving Miss Louise and the school?"

"No..." Rowena looked embarrassed now.

"Then I would rather appreciate it if you were to keep your judgements to yourself, Miss Rowena." Kyrano answered, still holding on to his pleasant smile, but carrying something deeper on the inside now. "Also, it is not very apt for a lady of your status to be listening and believing of rumours. You, of all, should understand the futility of listening to hearsay because they are very rarely the truth."