The Proposal Arc {Part 5}

(Part 5)

"It is rather hot in here, Kyrano." Keyron commented as he tossed the ingredients into the pot, stirring them up expertly with skilled hands that were almost equal to Kyrano's quick and efficient movements. "You should take your gloves off and roll up your sleeves, or you'll dehydrate."

"Thank you for your concern, Butler Keyron." Kyrano answered formally, ever the perfect Butler in Black to be courteous and polite in all situations. "But I will be fine. What I do suggest, on the other hand, is that you might want to add another pinch of sugar into that mix. Also, do coat that meat in another layer of flour for extra texture."

"Will do." Keyron smiled, nodding at the advice given. Like anywhere else, Kyrano was performing his best once more in all areas as a butler. In cleaning, in cooking meals for their master and mistresses, in helping with homework and tending to every need without even being asked of him; Kyrano was once more perfecting all of it with the grace and genteel of the Butler in Black.

The previous rumour about the Butler in Black losing his composure at the 'love affair of his mistress with his brother' had completely died down now that Kyrano was in his top form once more, performing his daily duties with even more grace and efficiency than ever before.

Without giving so much a second blink, Kyrano grabbed the bottle of wine that had been sitting by his side, dousing the steak that had been sizzling on the pan. A column of fire briefly flared up from the pan, but Kyrano had no reaction at all as he continued flipping the meat expertly, giving it a few more tosses before lifting it off the fire. The plating was done perfectly, mimicking a world-class restaurant's food, and the plate was quickly covered and transferred to a waiting tray, joining the side dishes and drinks as the main course for lunch.

"You're doing perfect as always again." Keyron once more made casual conversation as they cleaned up their work station side by side, the other butlers still in the midst of cooking. Like Kyrano, Keyron had been brought up as a butler since young, and thus they were the two most efficient butler amongst those of the entire class –finishing the job of preparing lunch early.

"But of course. To serve a lady like Miss Louise, perfection is expected of her butler." Kyrano answered in a matter-of-fact tone, no pride or arrogance in his tone at all. It was just a simple statement, as simple as commenting on the weather.

"Are you sure you don't want to change your gloves?" Keyron asked uncertainly when he spied his brother –the only man in the entire kitchen who hadn't rolled up his sleeves nor removed his gloves –with a rather unsightly stain on his gloves.

"I will do it before we leave to attend the ladies." Kyrano answered in the same deferential tone which was, in all honesty, beginning to piss Keyron off. Was this the way that the perfect butler dealt with everyone around him? This polite, courteous way of addressing everyone –butler and lady alike –was rather disturbing to Keyron.

"Look," Keyron could not help but blurt, stopping Kyrano with a hand on his sleeved forearm, but earning a strange wince instead before Kyrano shook the hand off quickly, turning around to face his brother, "I don't know what's wrong, but I'm your brother, aren't I? If you have any problems you can't tell Miss Louise, you can tell me."

"Thank you once again for your utmost concern, Butler Keyron." The irritating tone had not changed one bit at all, even as Keyron frowned outright at his brother. "But I am fine. Rather, I would prefer if you did not discuss about family matters while we are on duty. If you have nothing more, then please excuse me."

The formality at which Keyron was addressed by his own brother made Keyron feel extremely weird. He wasn't sure which side of Kyrano that he was more confused by and concerned with –the mistake-addled Kyrano who showed his self-disappointment easily on his face, or the perfect Butler in Black Kyrano who showed absolutely no soul inside his body, treating everyone with the same courteous polite mask without letting anyone get beneath his surface.