Love Affair Arc {Part 3}

(Part 3)

Kyrano didn't think that his mistress had noticed anything wrong. Yet, apparently it was not true, for Louise paused in the middle of a wide corridor that led towards the field and, beyond that, the archery range. A little relieved at the pause in their silent walk, Kyrano left his baggage on the floor as lightly as he possibly make it, for he didn't want to cause any damage.

"Is there something wrong, Miss Louise?" He asked softly, looking at the half-turned lady. She had dressed herself in a hunting attire, her long hair tied up in a perfect ponytail. The clean-cut look was stunning on her own, and Kyrano distantly remembered how many compliments and remarks about her looking very different his mistress had received in the walk to the field.

"Let me carry the bow." She ordered, then backtracked to reach him.

"It is my duty to carry the bow, Miss Louise. A lady shouldn't be..." Kyrano's protest was quickly silenced by the woman's hard, demanding look.

"I'm not doing this for you, Kyrano." Louise said in her no-nonsense manner, as if she wanted to imply that she knew better than to argue with him. "But I need a little warmup. I don't want to get cramps from carrying the bow later."

It was a good enough reason for Kyrano to release his hands from the handle of the box, stepping back politely so as to allow his lady some space to carry the rather bulky box. He wasn't surprised at all when his mistress was able to lift the bow easily without much strain, turning around and making down the corridor with the same comfortable pace.

"How is your shoulder?" Louise asked conversationally as they stepped out onto the field to see a few ladies having picnic on the greenery.

"It is healing well." Kyrano answered vaguely, but his mistress –like always –knew better.

"You have been carrying some heavy things." Louise replied in a statement so that there was no space for ambiguity. "Even when I told you explicitly not to."

"My apologies, Miss Louise." Kyrano hung his head. "But it is my duty as your butler to aid you in carrying the heavier loads. My injury is no excuse for me to ignore my job."

"Do you truly desire for me to send you back in confinement at Main House until you are recovered, Kyrano?" Louise's tone was hard and unforgiving, and Kyrano hesitated for a short moment, carefully picking out his words before vocalising them.

"My desire is to stay by your side to serve you, Miss Louise." Kyrano answered honestly. "I will try my best to heed your advice, at least until I am confident of the state of my shoulder."

"Good." The apology was conveyed quickly as the duo made their leisure walk across the field to the archery range. It was a day of perfect weather –it was not too sunny or windy. The air was still and peaceful, and the sun provided enough light without being too glaring.

"Tell me about your family, Kyrano."

The sudden order made Kyrano start for a moment, but he regained his wits quickly, wondering what had inspired such a question from his mistress. Louise had never shown much interest in his personal life –not that a lady was supposed to be. After all, Louise had known Kyrano for most of his life; it was safe to say that she had watched him grow up the same way he had done her.

"You know of my father, Kyrone, Miss Louise. While he worked, Mother would be the one caring for the household."

"Any siblings?"

"I have a little sister. She is 10 this year, studying in St. Luna Private Academy."

There was a sound of mild surprise. "Is St. Luna not a prestigious school in academics and curriculum?"