Chapter Five

Your pistol fell to the ground and you collapsed as tears sprung to your eyes and sobs tore from your throat. Shakily you crawled over to the dead child after Alfred had lodged the dagger in its head. You heard your name, but you ignored him. You sat beside the Roamer and placed your hand on their cold, pale cheek. "Oh my god..." You whimpered, spotting a large chunk of flesh missing from their shoulder. You cried, gathering the Roamer in your arms and rocking back and forth. "Oh my god, Sarah..." You voice cracked as you stroked her bloody hair. "Sarah, sweetheart, I'm so sorry..."

Alfred knelt beside you, wrapping an arm around your shoulder. "I'm so sorry, (Name)..."

You sobbed, releasing the dead body and burying yourself in his warmth. Your cries got louder as you let your sister's death sink in. You got so loud to the point you were screaming without realizing it. Alfred held you close, hushing softly as he rocked you back and forth. He ran his fingers through your hair. "Calm down, (Name)... We couldn't have done anything. It's alright, it's alright." Alfred whispered, then kissed your head.

~

You sat silently on a couch, staring blankly at the white wall across the room. Alfred was outside, burying your sister's body. Tears loosely ran down your cheeks and you didn't move to remove them.

You didn't know how long you were there, waiting for Alfred to finish, but the sun was setting when Alfred came back inside. He locked the front and back doors as well as the windows. He pulled the curtains over each window and made sure no other Roamers were in the house before sitting next to you. For a while he didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry." You didn't reply. "I can't imagine what you're going through." More silence from you. Alfred sighed, wrapping you in a tender embrace. "We need to get you back. Johnathan needs you."

"No." You breathed out, grasping his shirt. "I can't look at him right now. I wouldn't be able to... Tomorrow... Tomorrow we can go home." Alfred nodding, resting his chin on your head.

"Then we'll head back first thing in the morning." He whispered. You nodded, shifting in his arms so you were more comfortable. For a long while, there was a silence neither of you tried to fill. Slowly, Alfred pulled back, gazing into your eyes and pressing his palm against your cheek. His thumb gently ran under your eye. You closed your eyes, leaning into his hand.

You felt his warm breath fan over your forehead before his lips brushed over your skin. Alfred ran his slightly chapped lips down your nose and over your cheek before pressing against your own.

Short, sweet kisses drew out into long and expressive kisses. Alfred grabbed your thigh and moved you to straddle his lap. Your fingers wove through his hair as he placed his hands on your waist. You felt your temperature rise along with his as you slowly rotated your hips to sit more comfortably on his lap.

Abruptly, bodies slammed against the walls of the house and started growling and scratching. You gasped, and pulled away. You both panted as you looked around.

You jumped off his lap. "How could you!?" You shouted, tears you thought had dried up returning to your eyes. Alfred looked at you, seeming puzzled, but you were too mangled to notice. "You're taking advantage of this! You're awful!"

Alfred shot to his feet. "What? No, (Name), I wouldn't-"

"But you just did!" You snapped, smacking his hand away before darting off to a random room. You slammed the door and locked it behind you, then cried yourself to sleep.

~

The drive on the way back was silent and slow. You stared out the window, watching the Roamers stand as if they didn't have a clue what they were.