Chapter Nineteen

"Alfred!" You sobbed, trying to pry the Roamer off. Johnathan was in the doorway screaming and Sarge whimpered helplessly as he watched your blood start to soak your jeans. "Al!"

Just as he shot Alice and she collapsed to the ground, Ludwig, Gilbert, Elizabeta, and Lovina all came charging in. You fell to the ground and Alfred leapt over the bed. He gathered you in his arms, then rocked you back and forth. "It hurts... Oh my god, it hurts so bad!" You cried, clinging to him as well as putting pressure on your wound.

"Oh my god! She's bit!" Elizabeta screamed, Gilbert wrapping his arms around her. Lovina's eyes widened and she grabbed Johnathan. "No, no! Gilbert, let me go!" Elizabeta started thrashing around as he dragged her out.

Through your tears, you looked up at the younger German. "Ludwig?" You whimpered, watching as his fingertips feathered over his gun.

Apparently, Alfred noticed his subtle action and held you tighter, as if shielding you, and glared up at the slightly older man. "No! You're not going to kill her!" He snapped. "We need to bandage the bite, Ludwig! She's going to bleed out if we just sit here!"

"Then she's going to die and turn." Ludwig ground out, but you managed to catch the hint of sorrow in his deep voice.

"Everyone turns when they die!" Alfred shouted right back, furious tears filling his eyes.

"Those who get bit die and turn faster!" Ludwig yelled, his calm composure tossed right out the window.

Alfred froze, but his hold on you didn't falter. "Fine," he them mumbled, raising you in his arms as he stood. "I'll go bandage her myself if you won't." Alfred carried you passed Ludwig and down the stairs.

You looked up at Alfred, your hands in fists. "Al..." You whispered. He didn't respond. Once he reached the medical tent, he untied the ties keeping the curtains back and let them fall so no one could see as they walked by. You listened to Elizabeta cry and scream in the distance as Alfred tended to the gushing bite. You felt as if you were about to hurl, so you turned your head and covered your mouth and nose so you wouldn't breathe in the metallic scent of your blood.

Once Alfred finished several minutes later, he pulled up a chair and sat. "Alfred?" You swung your legs over the edge of the bed, wincing only slightly at the pain, then massaged his shoulders and neck. "Al... Please say something."

"What do you want me to say, huh?" His voice was harsh, but you know he didn't mean it. "I just got you back and you're carrying my baby, then you get bit because Alice was jealous! I'm loosing you again, and I'll have no hope of seeing you, ever!"

Sighing, you kissed Alfred's head. "You already forgot, didn't you?" You asked, trailing your fingers down his arm to his hand. Alfred looked slightly confused, but allowed you to lead his hand. You gently pulled his hand under your shirt to the scar on your lower back. "I was already bit. Alfred... Bites that infect burn, just like Antonio described when he was bit. My bite doesn't hurt much anymore. I think I might live, Alfred."

His blue eyes widened and he shot to his feet. "Are you serious!? Dude, I was terrified for-" you silenced him with a kiss which he gladly returned.

"Alfred. Get out here. We need to talk." Ludwig's voice sounded from the other side of the tent entrance. Sighing, Alfred looked down at you. You smiled and mouthed, 'go,' then watched him leave.

~

"We need to do something about that." Ludwig stated as soon as Alfred set foot out of the tent.

Alfred glared at him. "Uhm, the 'that' that you're referring to is my girlfriend and is carrying my child. She's also your friend, asshole."