Chapter Twenty-Four

You giggled, watching Alfred piggy-back Matthew as you rocked Hope. Your triplets were now three months old, but their father acted younger than your seven-year-old brother.

"Uhg, Feli's baby and my baby will both be born in the dead of winter!" Lovina grumbled, patting Faith's back as she watched Andrew sleep on Sarge.

Grinning, you turned to the older Italian. "Yeah, that'll suck. But at least we're in Texas and not a more northern state. Our winter isn't near as bad." You switched out Hope for Andrew.

Lovina rolled her eyes. "Arizona has no winter. We should go there."

You just chuckled, and went back to watching Alfred play around.

~

"It's so pretty today, isn't it, Luddy?" Feliciana grinned, hugging the German's arm as they walked between the outermost wall and the middle wall. Ludwig just smiled down at her and nodded. She hummed softly, closing her eyes. "The baby will be here soon. Maybe they'll be born on Christmas! Wouldn't that be so great? I was thinking about names last night and all the kinds of pasta I want to teach them to cook. But wouldn't it be neat if they knew Italian, too? Passed the language down? Maybe you could teach the other babies we have German. I'd be fine with just one knowing the language I grew up with. Ooh, can we talk names!? I wanna know what kind of names you like before I just name it! Hey, hey! What do you hope the baby is, huh? A boy or a girl? I kinda want a boy."

Ludwig just smiled as he listened to her. "Why don't you name the baby when it comes? And I don't care what gender it is, as long as you're happy and holding it in your arms."

Feliciana giggled, then stood on the tips of her toes to kiss his jawline. "Grazi, Luddy! Ti amo! I'm sure the bambino will be just like you! Strong and brave and kind!"

The German watched her, then frowned as he looked up. "Damn it... Stay here, Feli." The Italian tilted her head, but did as told as he pulled out a pocket knife and stalked towards a limping figure. He grabbed the Biter's shoulder and lodged the blade in it's head. Once it dropped to the ground, he inspected the body. "It looks like he climbed over the wall and snapped his neck on the way down."

"Someone climbed the wall? Either they wanted in to join or they tried to sneak in because they heard about the cure." Feliciana placed her hands on her swollen belly, her expression showing concern. "Does that mean others would try to get in, too?"

Ludwig sighed, still crouched beside the body. "Yeah, maybe. Maybe he was with a group. He looks like he was clean and healthy before jumping over."

His lover hummed and nodded, staying where she was. They stood for a moment before Feliciana heard an odd noise behind her. Slowly, she turned, then shrieked as a bloody hand reached out for her.

"Ludwig!" She cried, stumbling back. The man leapt to his feet as he swirled around. Another two Roamers were advancing on Feliciana as she fell to the ground. He reacted and snapped out his gun. Three shots and the Roamers were down, one falling on the grounded Italian. He hurried over and tossed the body, then gathered Feliciana in his large arms. She groaned, nuzzling her nose in the crook of his neck. "L-Ludwig! Th-the baby! It's coming!"

~

"Tina!" A large German yelled as he rushed through the inner gate. Everyone in the area stopped what they were doing to see what was going on. "Tina, Feliciana needs you now!" Tina hurried over, then lead him to the medical tent with Feliciana in his arms.

~

You gave Andrew to Alfred as you went to help Tina and Katyusha with Feliciana and Ludwig. You closed the tent behind you, then did as Tina asked you. However, the Finn seemed nervous and panicky. Ludwig sat beside Feliciana and held her hand as she panted and groaned.