·Chapter 5·

Author's note: I'm finally on Thanksgiving break!! I know, I know, this is a late night update but I hope you guys enjoy it. This chapter makes me feel at peace. Everyone deserves someone like this in their lives..

~~~

I feel a light touch on my shoulder and my eyes open. My vision is a little blurry but it soon clears. I turn around and meet my Dad's eyes.

"We're here."

I unbuckle my seatbelt and open the car door, exiting out. I take a deep breath and let the fresh air fill up my lungs. My Dad takes my hand and leads me to a spot where we can sit.

The place was breathtaking.

It was a hidden pier that had a large body of water. The water was glistening by the moonlight. There are dozens of trees and they sway a bit from the cold, chilly breeze moving the green leaves. There were dozens of logs that you could sit on. It was so beautiful.

I instantly felt a sense of peace.

My dad and I sit on a log, looking at the lake.

"I used to come here all the time when my demons got the best of me. I had multiple sleepless nights where I just couldn't handle anything anymore. I would mask my emotions and always pretend I was okay. People actually believed me. Then my Mom gave me a keyboard for Christmas. I started messing around with it and taught myself how to play. I discovered music. I started to write songs and at first a lot of them sucked. I realized that music helped me release everything I felt inside. Yes, it was risky to share a part of you that's so personal but I took that risk. Music kept me going and it still does. I found something that makes me happy and gives me a sense of purpose. When I write songs, I feel like I have a purpose."

He pauses.

He looks up at the sky and closes his eyes.

"I want you to feel like you have purpose."

"How do I do that?" I look down at the ground, kicking a pebble to the water.

"You start by creating something only you understand."

"What if I suck at creating things?"

"Have you ever tried?"

"No."

"You can't say that unless you've tried."

He opens his eyes and turns to look at me.

"I want you to try music."

"But-"

"I'll help you."

"I'm not talented."

He scoffs.

"Yes you are. You play so many instruments and you have a beautiful voice."

"Wait-"

He cuts me off.

"Cath, you don't think your mother and I hear you singing softly to yourself? We do, we just never say anything because you're shy about it."