·Chapter 21·

Author's note: Guess who's on summer vacation!? Well I have, for like two weeks already. I just kept forgetting to tell you guys. But, that means there will be more updates! Oh, the excitement is real! I hope you guys have been enjoying Cath's story, I know I sure have. Now, let's get to the chapter already.
···

A week rolls by and I would go to the hospital everyday. Mom would send me home to take a shower and go to sleep. She would come home as well to not leave me at home all alone. Other than that, I refused to leave dad and Uncle Josh's side.

It was just another night where mom and I went home for the night. I had freshened up and went in my room. Ziggy was sleeping on my pillow, like an angel. I smiled. He had grown quite a bit, he was longer that was for sure. Every night I would come home, I would feed him his kitten food and give him his warm milk that he loved to drink. He was content. He was a very mellow soul and that had connected us even more, every passing day.

I picked him up and got under the covers, placing him next to my head. He purred as I pet him. I closed my eyes, trying to sleep. But, I failed. I lay on my back, looking up at the ceiling. I missed dad. He would always come to kiss me goodnight.

My mind flashes back to a memory of when I was younger.

I was 6 years old and Uncle Josh had come over to teach me how to swim. I was sitting down on a patio chair, looking at the pool with excitement. I wanted to go swimming but I didn't know how. So that's why Uncle Josh was coming over, he was going to help out. Plus, he just loves hanging out at our house. I looked around for mom and dad, then stood up and out of curiosity, dipped my foot in the pool.

It was actually warm, I giggled in joy and dipped my foot again when I suddenly lose balance. I fall in the pool and feel myself sinking down, I try to prevent myself from sinking any further, but fail miserably. I start coughing underwater and begin to feel lightheaded. My eyes begin to close as I drown more and more. All of a sudden, I feel arms wrap around me, swimming up to the surface. I begin to cough uncontrollably, coughing up water and shivering madly. I still feel arms wrapped around me and I look up, it was dad. He had saved me.

He looks me in the eyes and rubs my back.

"Shh, you're okay, you're okay. Sweetheart, you're safe now."

A towel is wrapped around my body and mom kisses my head, holding my tiny hands. Uncle Josh has a towel in his hands and dabs at my legs, trying to dry them.

"I'm sorry, daddy," I say, apologetically.

"No, sweetie, it's okay. You didn't mean to fall into the pool, it's not your fault. Remember, whenever you're in danger, I'll always be here to protect you. Okay, pal?" He kissed my forehead and pulled me in a tight hug.

He would always keep me safe.

I sit up abruptly and hug myself. He would always keep me safe. I felt like a part of me was taken away and I had to fend for myself. I felt bare. I felt like I didn't have a warm towel to keep me warm, a hug to wrap me tight, a kiss to remind me of how much I was loved. Dad meant everything to me. He was my best friend, my role model, my idol, and so many things wrapped into one person. I needed him. I'll always need him.

I wipe away tears that I didn't know had escaped from my eyes.

I turn on my lamp that was on my night desk and look at the photo that was in the black picture frame. It was a picture of mom, dad, and I. They both had their arms wrapped around me, smiling, while I was giving a cheesy smile at the camera.

I run my hand over the picture and sigh.

I look at the other picture next to our family photo, and see it's a picture of Uncle Josh and I.

He's giving me a piggy back ride and we were both sticking out our tongues at the camera.

Uncle Josh was recovering quickly. He had less pain, every passing day. I would always bring Ziggy to the hospital and he would always light up. He would play with him for hours and they would take naps together. I was secretly jealous of all their cat naps they would take everyday. Uncle Josh's bruises and cuts were healing and he was smiling more and more everyday.

He always looks over dad and gives us news everyday on how he's doing.

My heart felt sore, as another day passed by without dad waking up.

I reach over to turn off my lamp and my door suddenly opens. I jump from the noise and try to see who it is, and it's mom.

She opens her mouth and says..

"Cath, he woke up."