·Chapter 12·

The room grows silent as I stop laughing. Dad looks at me for a second but then turns to stare at Uncle Josh.

There was so much tension between them that I wanted to hide in a box until it was safe to come out.

Uncle Josh turns to look at me and I see the question in his eyes.

He was asking if he could leave the room.

I nod my head and he stands up.

He walks past dad and my dad gives him a dirty glare.

Uncle Josh opens the door and walks out.

My dad's vibe softens as he looks at me. Then the door opens with a bang as my mom runs over to me. She kneels down and cups my face. She starts crying.

"I'm so glad you're okay, I was so worried," She pulls me into her arms and tries to calm down.

I glance at my dad and he looks sad.

My mom lets go and holds onto my hand.

My dad walks over to me with caution and then kneels down by my side.

"You shouldn't have run away from home. Do you know how much you scared and worried us? Your mom wouldn't stop crying. Don't ever do that again."

He scolded me.

How lovely.

I look down at my lap in guilt and then to my surprise, dad starts crying.

I look up and see him put a hand on top of my mom's which is on top of mine.

"I'm sorry," I say, feeling emotional.

"Don't apologize, Cath. I should be the one doing that. I'm sorry, love," He pulls me into a hug as he sniffles. I hug him back and start crying.

"Stop crying, daddy. Whenever you cry it makes me cry."

"I can't help it, I'm so relieved that you're safe."

"I know."

"Are we all crying?" My mom asks as she joins our hug.

"Yeah," I say, sharing a small laugh.

"Mommy."

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Can you leave my dad and I for 10 minutes so we can talk?"

"Of course, you two really need to talk. There's a lot that needs to be said. I'll go down to the cafeteria to go get you a bottle of milk."

"Thank you, mom."

She lets go of my hand and leaves the room.

Dad sits on the side of my bed and holds onto my hand.

He takes a deep breath.

"You overheard-"

"Yep."

"You heard every-"