Chapter 7: 4 Months Later

4 months have passed now. Its July, Its very warm, now I wear jean shorts, a tank-top and of course my combat boots. I'm still at my grandparents house. My traps have proved reliable and sturdy. I ran out of food a few weeks ago and went to a little road side store. I should be good on food for another month now. I have continued boiling water, which has been working fine. I soon learned the world wont be going back to normal, not yet at least. I'm still alone, ever since I lost James in the woods I've been alone. Silence is plentiful now. I've killed so many of the Moaners now, I've lost count. I never thought I would get used to the Moaners, and I still haven't. But now killing them is normal. I still don't know what happens when you get bitten, I've been alone, and I don't want to know enough to get bitten myself thank you very much.

Today I'm going to a small store not far from my grandparents. As I walk there I have my backpack, my sword and my knife in its holster. A Moaner walked out of the woods on my left. I pulled my sword out of its holder and suck it through its head. Once I got closer to the store I saw a car out front. I decided to see if it had any keys or gas. It had a full tank but no keys. I thought maybe the key might be inside if it belonged to Moaner in the store. I walked in to find myself at gun point. I gasped seeing people. It was a woman in her late thirties, a man around the same age and a boy, he was around sixteen. They all held me at gun point. I put my hands up quickly. I was scared, like when it started. The boy looked at me curiously. Finally someone spoke. "Put your weapons on the ground" The man said. I slowly put my sword on the ground. Then my knife and then my backpack. I did all of this slowly, no quick moves. "What's your name" the woman said firmly. "Alex..." I spoke fearfully.  The boy continued to hold me at gun point, instructed by the man to do so.  They looked through my stuff. "Are you alone"? The man asked. "Yes... for three or four months now" I said softly.  The man handed me my stuff again and I put it on quickly. "You have a place to stay"? The boy finally spoke. I sighed. "Do you?" I asked. "No, not anymore. It was over run" He explained. "I do... And if you put the gun down, you can come." I said. I didn't like being alone, and it helps to have someone to watch your back.

We walked down the road back to my home in silence. "Have you seen a boy... My age, blondish brown hair... Answers to the name of James?" I asked as we walked. All three of them exchanged looks. "I don't think so..." the woman said. "We saw a boy a while back, but I don't remember what he looked like... It was dark too" The man explained. I nodded in response. "What are your names?" I asked. "I'm Judy" the woman answered. "I'm Kent and this is Ashton" The man said then gesturing to the boy. I nodded and then said "We're here" I said as I turned into the drive way.

A moaner came toward me and I swung my sword, as usual. Then weaved myself around the traps and up on the farmers porch, they fallowed. I put my stuff down and then led them upstairs. "this is my room" I said opening the door and kept walking. "My grandparents lived here before all this..." I explained leading them down the hall. "You can have these three rooms to sleep" I said. "Thank you, Alex. This is perfect" Judy said walking into one of the rooms. "Thanks" Kent said putting a hand on my shoulder. Ashton nodded at me and I did the same and walked back to my room.

One day about a week later we all woke too the noise of rattling cans. We ran down stairs, weapons in hand. There were at least six or seven moaners. "We got this just take them down" Kent said. We all nodded in agreement. Ashton and I ran over to one side of the porch.  Judy and Kent to the other. I killed a few but then realized there were more then seven. There was at least a dozen. Ashton and I exchanged looks and continued killing them from the porch, which was safer. Suddenly I herd something blood-chilling. A scream that gave me goose-bumps. I turned around to see Judy, She was bitten. I gasped. "Judy"! Ashton yelled. "Ashton! Take her inside" Kent said... "Mind finishing this with me?" Kent asked me coming over. "Lets do it" I replied. We cleared them out and went back inside. Judy was on the couch a bite on her arm. Kent sighed "Judy... You know what we have to do" Kent said. ''Yes I know.... Do it" Judy responded in pain. He took out his knife and put it into the side of her head. I gasped. "Why did you do that?!" I asked. "Don't you know" Ashton asked me. "Know what?" I said confused. "If you don't kill them they'll turn." He said getting up. I looked at Judy 'that's what happens' I thought with a sigh.