Chapter 8. To the Docks

The next morning comes rather quickly. The turtles, April, and Casey all awoke early to prepare for the night to come. Although there were no plans to engage in a battle, all of them knew they needed to be prepared. Most importantly though, they needed to determine what it was being shipped to the Shredder. Donatello had thought about it throughout the night. He developed theories for what Shredder was waiting for but all of them had some sort of flaw.

    The day consisted of endless training with small pauses and breaks between. Leonardo felt that even if there was no chance of a battle tonight, it was important for them all to get back into training. They all had gone too long without a formal routine.

     As the sun set, the team made their way up out of the sewers and onto the surface. They climbed to the rooftop closest to the manhole they came from. There they would wait until Donnie found Athena's phone on the move.

     Almost half an hour passed before Donnie detected the phone moving past Shredder's lair. "They're on the move," Donnie says.

     The rest of the team stands from their seated positions and joins Donatello. They all peer over each other to get a glimpse at his phone.

     "Where are they headed?" Leo asks.

     "I'm not sure exactly." Donnie swipes the screen to the side to see a larger view of the map. "It looks like they're headed toward the docks."

     "Then let's start following," Leo says. He turns to everyone else. "We do not engage unless absolutely necessary."

     Everyone nods their heads. Leo is hesitant at first to return the gesture. For a moment he contemplates whether or not this mission is a good idea. With Casey Jones returning to the team, he and Raphael were a disaster waiting to happen. That combined with the mighty and obnoxious force of Michelangelo, Leo feared that, somehow, they'd find a way to mess it up or cause a fight. Regardless, it was pointless to turn away now. It had been too long since they had gone on a serious mission and Leo knew that when the time came for seriousness, his team would follow through. He knew these fears were a result of his nervousness. So, Leonardo nodded his head in return and allowed Donnie to lead the way.

     They followed the phone to the docks, making no stops. When they approached closer, they slowed, making sure to keep enough distance. Karai and Shredder's other mutants lead the recruits off of the rooftops and onto the ground. Tiger Claw unlocked the lock that held the wired fencing closed. When he opened it, the recruits funneled in, being followed by a white van. Instead of entering the docks through the entrance, the turtles, April, and Casey climbed the wire fence. They crawled on top of some shipping containers, laying on their stomachs so as not to be seen or heard.

     The Foot made their way towards a large boat docked in the port. The van backed up towards the boat. Bebop and Rocksteady opened the back, revealing nothing but empty space. The rest of the group wandered up towards the edge of the dock where a metal pathway connected the shipping boat to the dock.

     Karai led the recruits onto the boat. A few seconds passed before they were greeted by another group of seven. They wore black suits and ties, hands clasped behind their backs. Their faces were unrecognizable, for they also wore black and red oni masks. The man standing in the middle's mask was very much different than the others. The horns extended much further and the entire mask was red with gold accents on the teeth and horns. Athena could only assume he was the top boss.

     The man in the center nodded his head. Two of his soldiers stepped in front of the group.

     Karai turns to Athena. "Follow them."