Chapter 6

I woke up late Monday morning and by time I was ready to go my mom had left with Seth and Sam. So I had no choice but to walk, I barely had time to get to school and not be late when I left. I walked a couple blocks when I heard someone yelling my mind. I turned around and saw Sodapop running after me.

"Hey!" He grinned when he caught up with me.

"Hi." I smiled as I kept walking with him beside me.

"I didn't know you walked to school." He said after a while.

"I normally don't, my mom takes me but this morning I was running late so I had to walk." I shrugged.

"Oh, well if you ever have to walk stop by my place and we can walk together." He smiled and grabbed my hand.

"That sounds nice, I might walk more often now." I smiled at him, we walked the rest of the way and we barely made it on time.

The next couple of days I walked with him but he started to get really quiet. In school he really wasn't that talkative to me.

I tried to ignore it but it starting getting hard, we were at his placing laying on his couch together. He had his arms wrapped around me as we watched a movie. "Soda what's wrong?" I asked looked up at him.

"Nothing." He shrugged.

"In school you haven't really been talkative lately. Why?" I rolled over so I was facing him.

"Nothing, just thinking and haven't had much to say." He shrugged.

"Oh." I looked down. I knew that was always a bad answer for a relationship, I really gotten close to him in the last month, the rest of the gang not so much. I was also pretty convinced that Darry hated me, along with all the girls at school but Evie.

I got along with her pretty well. We would always go out on double dates with Steve and Evie, once she realized I was with Soda she started to invite me to hand out with her if the boys were busy. I didn't know if it would last if we broke up, and I honestly wasn't sure if I could handle not having any friends here.

"Nothing is wrong with us." He lifted my chin making me look at him.

"Promise?" I asked quietly.

"Promise." He smiled and kissed me. I smiled and kissed him back. We laid there making out for a while before the door opened. I quickly pulled away and sat up.

"It's okay" Soda laughed, Darry walked into the house and glanced at us before going into the kitchen.

"Alex you staying for supper?" He asked, yelling from the kitchen.

"No, I need to get home." I shook my head and got up.

"Please?" Soda asked grabbing my hand. I looked at him. "It will be a good chance to talk to Darry so I can prove he doesn't hate you." He smirked a bit.

"I have homework." I complained.

"We can do it together." He grinned.

"You mean I can do it while you try and distract me." I rolled my eyes. "I'm going home, I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled and gave him a quick kiss before leaving.

Sodapop's POV

I got up and went into the kitchen after she left to see if Darry needed any help. "Well it looks like she took it well, she's still around." Darry started after a while.

"I haven't told her." I mumbled a bit.

"Why not?" He asked.

"I know she's going to get mad." I sighed.

"She will be even madder if you just don't show up one day." He pointed out.

"I know, I just don't know how to tell her, 'hey I'm leaving you at school by yourself with no friends.'" I grumbled.

"She will have the rest of the gang and Evie." Darry started adding pasta to the water.

"She only sees Evie in one class and at lunch her tongue is always down Steve's throat and she doesn't talk to the rest of the gang, she still thinks you hate her." I sighed a bit.

"Well, you know what you need to do." Darry kept cooking. "Now go check to make sure you have everything to turn in tomorrow. Then you start full time Monday." He sent me off as he finished cooking.

I got everything together, about the time I finished supper was ready and Ponyboy just got home. We all sat down together and ate. After we talked a bit before I decided I needed to tell Alex. "I'm going to go talk to Alex. I'll be back soon." I got up and walked across the street. I got pretty nervous as I knocked on the door.

Her mom answered the door. "Hi is Alex home? I need to talk to her." I smiled. She knew we were dating but I didn't know how well she liked the idea.

"She's doing homework and weren't you just together?" She asked.

"Well I forgot to tell her something important." I shoved my hands in my pockets, getting nervous.

"Yeah, make it quick. She needs to get her homework done." She opened the door a little wider letting me in, I went up the steps to her room. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." She said.

I walked in and smiled. "Hey babe."

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Oh wow I've missed you so much I'm glad I could come see you too." I mocked and laughed.

She rolled her eyes. "You know I have homework. Why did you come over is everything okay?" She asked. I figured she saw the serious look on my face.

"Everything is fine." I nodded.

"Then why are you here?" She asked.

I bit my lip and I went and sat down on the bed beside her. "I need to tell you something, but I want you to promise not to be mad."

"Soda, what it is? You are worrying me now." She looked at me.

I sighed deeply before starting.

Authors note: thank you for reading! Sorry I'm so slow on updating, I have finals so it's going to be slow for the next couple of weeks, but anyways I hope you liked it!