Chapter Five

•2009•

Amy's scream filled Shilo's ears as she shot up and ran towards her bedroom door.

"Mum! What's happening?" Shilo called as she pulled the handle down.

The handle burnt Shilo's hand, making her flinch back and scream herself. She rubbed her hand whilst looking around for the lightswitch. The room was oddly darker than it normally was, which made Shilo worry even more.  

Panic was filling Shilo's body as she now heard her father running down the hallway past her bedroom.

"Dad!" Shilo called. "Open the door, I can't get out, I can't see!"

But nobody could hear her as far as she was concerned, this was odd, nothing like this ever happened. Shilo had felt like something bad was going to happen tonight due to her bedroom window being open.  

Shilo took a deep breath again, now seeing the lightswitch, she flicked it, but the lights didn't come on straight away, they flickered for a while, then finally brightened the room.
Shilo yet again knocked the door, hoping her dad or mum would finally let her out, but all she could hear was someone crying manically.

"Josh!" Paul now screamed himself.

Josh was Shilo's older brother, what could be happening, why could nobody hear her screams?

•Today•

"I think the lamp is in the box next to your dad's chair in the study darling." Amy said to Shilo, now placing the vase of flowers onto the coffee table in the backroom of the house.

It had been a week since they had bought the house. They would be finally moving in tonight, after a week of coming in and out of the house with their belongings. 

Amy didn't seem to like the house at first, but after coming in and out each day, she realized it was actually as beautiful as Shilo and Paul had said it was.

"Okay mum." Shilo replied, turning on her heel and walking out of the room again and heading down the hallway.

Shilo was the person who was mainly happy about moving in. She thought it was an interesting house, and she would be glad because she'd have her own room again, she  wouldn't have to sleep in her six year old, barbie loving cousins room.  

They had spent the week at Amy's sisters house, Paul and Amy loved seeing the family after a while of not getting into much contact with them, but Shilo hated her relatives with a passion.
The last time she had seen them was at her brother's funeral two years ago. That day was the worst, not because it was the burial of her brother, but because everyone wouldn't look at her, wouldn't dare to make eye contact with her.  

They hated the way she dressed, the way she acted, everything about her repulsed them. But it was a mutual feeling, as Shilo hated them all too, she thought they were too posh, so they turned their nose up at her.

Shilo knew that day that they wouldn't look at her because they blamed her. Everyone did, even her own parents for at least a year had hated to look at her, to live in the same house as her, breathe the same air.  
That's why they had moved. They didn't say to Shilo that they were moving because of it, they'd made some petty excuse, like her father wasn't happy living and working in Canada anymore, that they wanted to live back in the US, be closer to the family. Shilo knew all along that it was because the house would never be the same, never feel right living in as her brother was no longer with them. She just pushed all of that to the back of her mind though and continued with life.