Chapter Nineteen

Each Halloween, the somber shadows are able to walk among the living on the other side of the house's gates and fences, this enables them to do anything they would like to do.

However, it's not just the house's shadows that are allowed to be seen by the living, it's also other shadows, all over the world that are able to walk the earth again.

•Today•

Shilo heaved the box of Halloween decorations upstairs from the basement and dragged it into the kitchen, where Amy was decorating some Halloween cupcakes to give to the children 'Tick or treating' tonight.

"Thanks Shilo, can you give me a hand outside for a moment? We need to finish decorating the mini graveyard in the front garden." Paul asked.

Shilo sighed but nodded, she was just looking forward to her date with Tate this evening, she wondered where they were going as they hadn't hung out together before outside of the house.

As they exited the house, Constance, their neighbour wondered about towards their basement door, probably trying to see if it was open for something.  

Shilo frowned and tapped Paul's shoulder, he turned and yelled.

"Constance! What are you doing?" He asked, walking over to speak with her.

She looked up, her facial expression seemed angry, she looked at Shilo and raised her eyebrows then turned, walking off without even speaking to Paul.  

Shilo felt a little annoyed, she didn't know what she had done to get that death stare from Constance, and she sure as hell didn't like it.

•Later that day•

"Right Shilo, me and your mum are going out to see a few old friends that are in town for Halloween this year, be good and keep an eye out on the mini graveyard and the sweets." Paul said to Shilo who was sitting on the stairs.

Shilo nodded. "I'll watch out for people taking too many sweets, don't worry."

Amy kissed Shilo's head and smiled, then they left the house.

'Finally, some alone time to get ready for my date.' Shilo thought to herself, now heading up to her bedroom to get ready for the evening.

**

Shilo smiled at herself in the mirror, she couldn't wait to meet up with Tate tonight and finally go out.  

She looked at her watch to see that she had at least ten minutes left until she had to be in the basement to embrace him in a hug.

Shilo sat on her bed, unaware that a pair of dirty hands slithered from under her bed, just about to grab her ankles and harm her.

A tap on the window made Shilo quickly stand up to look out of the window, and the hands suddenly vanished. Luckily, it was Tate, smiling and waving at Shilo to go to the basement.

She grabbed her shoulder bag and exited her room, running to the basement quickly.

** 

As she got to the bottom of the basement stairs, she ran into Tate's arms, he hugged her softly, smiling a warm and happy smile.

"Thank God you are here, I was about to die of boredom." Shilo said, pulling back to look at Tate's beautiful eyes.

"I'm glad to have saved you." He grinned. "Oh, and I got this for you!"

Shilo frowned as Tate brought a black rose from behind his back, she suddenly smiled, taking it in her hands. "Thank-you."

"I painted it black, I know how you don't like normal things." Tate replied.

Shilo laughed. "You're the first boy to ever give me a flower, it's adorable."

Tate then took Shilo's hand, and they headed off to the beach together.