Twelve

I woke up in the hospital, Nick Fury above me looking down as my vision went back to normal. "How long have I been out for?' I asked him.

"A pretty long time Ms. Hotman."

"How long?" I asked again, getting angry now, getting up.

"Over night. Your school should be starting in a few minutes. Everyone is already at school. I stayed with you in case you woke up, which did happen."

"Where's my backpack?" I asked him. "Oh, you know what, I don't need it. Sorry Nick, but I gotta run." I said, then was out the door before he could catch me. I heard him as I ran off.

"Amelia Hotman is out of the hospital. We need her back, she's still unstable and could blow at any minute. Get her back into the hospital without killing her, at any and all costs." he said, and I flipped over some of the guards and agents standing outside the building. I ran all the way to the school, but I missed the first bus. I got inside and found MJ.

"Amy, you were in the hospital. I thought you were in some sort of coma?"

"Well, you know, I woke up. Are they already there?" I asked her.

"Danny's bus left 20 minutes ago. He was really upset about you missing this trip." she told me.

"Well, there's no way I'm missing it. Thanks MJ." I said, then ran out of the school as fast as I could. I ran through the streets of New York, trying to make my way to Rand Corp. but I was going against the flow of people. I wasn't going to make it for the check in. The bus left to long ago, and it was across the city. That didn't stop me though. I kept going, and managed to get past the people. I saw the building, and ran inside. Everyone had just gotten inside, and I ran for it.

"Hello." the security guard said. "I'm sorry, but if your with that class, your too late. I would love to let you in, but I don't have the authority." He told me, and I smacked my head on the counter, tears filling my eyes. I walked over to a chair and just cried into my hands.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I whispered. "I did it again. I can't believe I did it to you again."

"What did you do again?" I heard Danny's voice say in my head.

"I failed you. I lied to you, and that's the only lie I've ever told. Then I left you alone, and now I did it again. I failed you, and I failed myself, and I failed everyone and now S.H.E.I.L.D. is after me and I am going to have to leave here forever, even though I really don't want to."

"Amelia, look at me." the voice said, but voices don't have physical appearances. I looked up from my hands, and there was Danny. "You woke up from a coma, and came here even tough you knew you probably weren't going to make it. You didn't fail anyone." he told me, and I jumped up and hugged him.

"So, you aren't mad at me anymore?" I asked him. "A tornado turns to a gentle breeze, only as temperatures cool down."

"Oh thank god." I said. "Now, let's get to the field trip. You know, before I start crying again." I told him.

We got back to the trip, and when we got to the testing facility, there was Max. on his usual floor today. I smiled at him, and he saw the group. "We need someone to test something we've been working on. It's completely safe, so no need to worry. Anyone want to volunteer?" he asked, looking at Danny and I. "How about the two kind looking kids in the back. Come and try this out in front of your classmates. Yes, the blonde guy and the red head girl." he said, and I started at him.

"You are so lucky we're friends Max." I told him.

"Oh come on Ames, you love new things like this. Here, step on the X right here." he said, moving me over to a spot on the floor.