The Doors

Rose led her to one of the four walls surrounding the glade. Clara was surprised she hadn't noticed it before- every wall had a large opening in them. Two large blocks- the right one with long bars coming out of it, each one foot apart, and the left had holes in the same spots as the right had bars. "No way." Clara said in amazement.

       "Yes way." Said Rose.

         "When do they close?"

         "Dusk, when all Riders return."

           "Why would someone keep us locked up in here?"

            "What? Oh, no, the Doors don't lock us up." Rose turned and looked Clara in the eye with an almost sinister glare. "They keep them out."

               "And what are, them?"

            "Sorry, can't answer that. Zara is the one that tells all Greenies about 'em."

             "Can you tell me when she'll tell me?"

             "Yes- Wake Up, tomorrow." Good. Clara thought. Not long until then. Then Clara heard a wierd but familiar animal noise, and the clopping of hooves on rock. Suddenly, a horse appeared around a corridor. Farther down, a second horse appeared around another corridor. The two of them, both carrying one woman each, dashed out of the Maze and ran straight past them to a large stone building, big enough for horses and humans alike. The Riders dismounted and unlocked the large barn-like doors, allowing their steeds and or mares, or mare and steed, to enter, then locking them both. Before Clara could ask another question, a large boom rang around the Glade, symbolizing the Doors starting to close. She turned around and saw the right door moving toward the left with unbelievable speed for something so large. After half a minute, the right door concluded its journey and combined with the left. All around the Glade, Clara saw Riders, in pairs of two from each wall, returning to the small barn. Wait, no- one of the horses was alone, making only seven Riders accountable.

        "How many Riders are there?" Clara asked.

         "Well, there are supposed to be eight, but..."

         "But what?"

          "Well, you see, Zara used to be a Rider. She, uh, had a closer encounter with them than usual, and got out without a scratch. Well, I say no scratches, she fell off her horse, Vixon, and badly got badly injured. She hasn't recovered yet."

           "Why doesn't another take over for her?"

             "Well, you see, we have tons of horses. Tons. But only eight are Stallions, making them more fit for the Maze. Before you ask- yes, the females are infertile. The Stallions choose their Riders, really, but Vixon and Zara were the first to ever explore the Maze. They got really close, formed one of those bonds you used to always hear about back in the old life, Vixon hasn't, and probably won't, choose a temporary replacement." Clara felt more interested about how Rose mentioned the bonds- she was right. Clara remembered animal-human bonds from the past, and hearing them a lot, but couldn't remember who it was or what animal, a faint memory with many gaps.

                 "Anyway," Rose said. "We should be heading off to the field. We have to get early sleep to work in the morning."