The Griever

Clara's sleep was interrupted by a sudden push. She woke up to see Zara sitting next to her. "You ready?" She asked Clara. It took a while to process the question, but then she remembered. "Yeah." Clara said.

        "Well, get outta that sleeping bag there and follow me." Clara followed her to the door closest to the small grove of trees. By the door, she pulled away a few vines and revealed a small window. The glass was weird- cyan colored. "One of them will be here soon." Zara said.

      "Until then." Clara began. "Tell me more about this Maze."

      "Well, it has eight sections, and each one changes every night."

    "So that's why there are eight Riders?"

      "Correctamundo, a word I have never said before and will never say again. Also, no one has ever survived a night out in the Maze."

     "What happens to them?" Zara turned to Clara.

    "We call 'em Newtosaurs." Zara said.

     "Really?"

       "No, just kidding- we call 'em Grievers." As if summoned, a whirring sound came from the right of the inside of the window, and a slug-like creature propped up by metal legs and bearing a metal tail came into view. The metal components were bronze- an unusual color for many metals. It had a head with soulless black eyes, and a mouth that opened to roar at the two women, revealing loads of small but sharp teeth. It was like an insect, six legs. It climbed the wall opposite to the window, and jumped at the glass. Thankfully, the glass was strong enough to withstand the attack. The tail came into full view, and Clara saw there was a claw at the end with three talons that each had three joints, a blue circular object lay in the middle of the three claws. "Why do you call them Grievers?" Clara asked.

       "Everything we have to grieve falls upon them. Every dead Glader that's dead died because of them. You see those two bug like arms right under the head?" Now that she said it, Clara did see small three jointed organic arms under the head, both ended in a point. "That's what they use to sting us. The tips carry a strong poison. The only cure is the Grief Serum. Some Gladers say they use the poison to track us. So, are we clear that you NEVER go into the Maze?" Zara asked.

       "As day." Clara said.