The Twenty Second Chapter

There was a large thud behind him as the doors closed. Sorry for the short read. In front of him Micasa stood, holding up Vastra's strong reptilian body. That must have been why she was slowed down. "I don't know what to be more worried about - the fact that you're awake, or the fact that we're all going to die now." Micasa said, angered obviously.

"Wouldn't be so sure about that." He said.

"I'm afraid you don't know what I do."

"Which is?"

"What's your name?" She snapped.

"I'm just a doctor. The Doctor to be exact."

"I've had enough riddles lately. What does it mean you're the last one?"

"I don't think you answered my question, Micasa."

"How do you know my damn name!?" She gripped he sheathed sword handle and quickly drew the weapon, bringing it to his neck.

"Oh do it. I dare you. Though I might warn you what happens when you do will be a lot stranger than a couple of riddles." He said through his teeth. With some hesitation, she drew back.

"Grievers." She said.

"What?"

"Part mechanical, part slime, part animal, part fuck all. Point is they'll tear us to shreds."

"I'd like to see them try."

"You seem quite confident."

"Not in my vocabulary. I've been saving people for three thousand years now, and I don't plan to break my streak."

"Three thousand years? You bluff, it's impossible."

"I'm impossible." A loud, hollow moan erupted from several corridors into the maze. It was eerie, and definitely not anything he'd known. "Your 'Grievers'?" He turned around and asked Micasa.

"Yeah, that's them follow me, if we start running now there's a chance we'll live. A chance."

"And leave her here?" The Doctor gestured to Vastra, now laying on the ground, still breathing but only faintly.

"You would you care? You only just met her."

"Contrary to popular belief, me and Madame Vastra actually have a long history, sixty five million years in the making to be exact, and I am not going to let her die!"

"You know what, I'm done questioning you. Stay with her and get torn apart!" Micasa started running down the long stone corridors, leaving them behind.