The Deadheads

Hey buys before I start out this chapter, I wanted to give a shoutout to samthesmiley. You may have seen the new title- through newtsidiot samthesmiley was able to get this title to me and I just can't stop looking at it! Make sure to follow her and this chapter was actually recommended by her :3

        Vastra led Clara to the wooded area from earlier. At a closer look, Clara was able to identify them as oak, one of the most common trees in the world. She guessed she had some background with geography- perhaps she was a teacher in the past? "This forest," Vastra interrupted her thoughts. "is what we call the Deadheads."

      "What an odd name."

       "Leader before me named it. She was the first one to take charge in that large group- her memory is the biggest, and she left the largest impact on the glade. What I am is only a fraction of a shadow of the leader before me. Her name was Ima."

      "How did she die?" Clara asked, walking through the forest with Vastra.

       "Galley ran into a Griever- bugger was just in front of the west door. Frankly, I'd rather Galley died instead of her, who ran to Galley's rescue. Griever took Ima, but it stung Galley while at it." The two came across a stream. "There's a bridge a little ways south." Vastra said. The bridge led into a small grove in the very corner of the Glade. Wooden and stone memorials jutted out of the ground, and the right wall had markings in it. The memorials were of course graves, and the markings on the wall were names- each with a number. The number referenced a grave- each grave had a number carved in it. Clara's eyes skimmed over the list, until her eyes fell upon the name- 13:Ima GunDi. The list only ran on a few more numbers, meaning Vastra was appointed leader very recently. "Depressing, isn't it?" Vastra said, looking upon the graves.

     "Couldn't have said it better..." Clara said, looking at the same 17 graves. Clara had then realized just how many had already died trying to get to the end of this Maze, just how grievous this task was. Was there a reason to trap this many people in a Maze larger than any other? Or was this some sick game, a Maze without an exit, just something for spectators to peer upon, laughing at their endless efforts to find hope where there was none? And why were there no men? So many questions, and yet no answers. Clara remembered Zara's first words to her, and realized just then how much she doubted her guarantee that there would be answers some day.  "This is why we map out the Maze, everyday, trying to find an exit. This is why we won't give up." Vastra interrupted the silence. "Ready to move on?" Clara nodded, not wanting to voice her thoughts.