Chapter 12: Wake Up Call and The Park

Soft warm kisses on cheek. My eyes flutter open and I see Steve's beautiful blue eyes. I can't help but grin and sit up.

"Good morning, Evie." Steve whispers. I smile at him. "Morning Steve." I say, getting out of bed to get on my outfit for the day. "What are we planning to do today?" I ask him. Steve shrugs.

"I don't know. We can just hang out," he answers. "I don't know about you but I really want to have a picnic," I say. Steve looks at me weirdly for a moment, but then he nods his head. "Sure, sounds great."

I change into my jean shorts (who doesn't wear them) and my frilly top. (www.polyvore.com/casual_but_class...) Then I brush my hair out a bit.

"So, where are we going exactly," Steve asks. "To the park obviously," I tell him. Steve laughs, "ok." He grabs a quilt off the chair and we go out in my car.

We grab Togo's sandwiches on our way. I get a turkey and swiss cheese sandwich with avocado and bacon. (if you hate bacon I feel sorry for you) Steve gets a turkey and American cheese (America boy...). Then he decides to get the same as me. I laugh. This guy...

Then we make our way to the park. Once I see the monkey bars a grin mysteriously. "This will be fun..."

I fling both hands off the first bar and onto the second, then I keep doing the same thing until I get to the last bar. Steve sits on a small dark brown bench a few feet ahead of me. I quietly step onto the platform and tip toe forward. Steve hums to himself and looks around him at the scenery.

The birds chirp and chipmunks squeal. The willow tree in the corner was looking very unhealthy, but still beautiful. The bushes I used to hide in when my dad and I would play hide and seek, we're looking unhealthy too. It used to be so happy here, but now there were graffiti and trash everywhere. Dad loved to take me here and play games with me.

Dad was so sweet and he worked at a ice cream shop. He was a shy guy, but he loved his shop. My mother had a sweet tooth and that's where they met. At his ice cream shop. Then they started dating, then got married, and then had me. Finally, the war happened.

I was there. My ten year old self. In my mother's arms outside our apartment with my stuffed animals in my grasp. Mom whispered soothing words in my ear while I cried. Dad was hugging both of us and moving us away from the frightening scene in front of us.

That was all I saw before I was pulled from my mother's arms and into a strangers grasp. They ran away and into another building. I saw a huge robot approach my parents. It metal claws snapped at them. My father pulled my mother into his arms and they awaited the coming pain. The robot lunged. The stranger closed the door to the building and I did not need to see what happened next to know that my parents were gone

My thoughts were interrupted my the sound of coughing. I looked at Steve who was on the ground choking. My instincts took over and I flipped off the playground and to the spot next to him. I pushed super hard on his chest once. He still coughed and I started to panic. Another time I pushed on his chest. Another and another until finally he stopped choking. He took deep breaths and I helped him into a sitting position.

"Thank you...Evie..." Steve manages to say. I chuckle a little. "Thank you for not dying." I say. Steve smiles and stands up. "You gave me a heart attack," I say. "I choked on my own spit." Steve says, blushing. I laugh even more. "My little awkward cuddle clumsy bear." I say. Steve's face becomes really red and I smile and peck him on his lips. I never thought he could get that red.