Chapter 15: Unexpected Visit

My face brightens like the sun. Fury smiles at me. Nicolas Fury smiled at me! I'm so happy right now, but then it hits me. "Um, what job did I sign up for?" I ask him. "To eventually become an avenger," Fury says. My face still brightens. "Great, so do I have to like take classes and stuff or what's happening?" I ask him in pure curiosity.

     "You will be training with Agent Barton and be able to become even fitter that you are now. Then, we'll test you to see if you are ready for an upgrade," Fury explains. I smile even brighter if that's possible. He explains a few other thing to me, but I barley listen because I'm so happy.

      "Thank you Agent Fury. I promise I won't let you down," I tell him, walking out. "Miss Sanders. You've got a real mission tonight. Just a tester to see what you are made of. I'll send you a text," Fury says. I nod and walk out of the office, pulling Steve with me.

     Once we are out of sight, I pull Steve into a tight hug. "I knew you were meant for this job, Evie." Steve says. I smile into his chest. "I'm so excited." I say. Steve laughs. "This might be a tough mission, Evie. I would stretch," he tells me. I laugh sarcastically. "That was really embarrassing," I mumble. Steve laughs even more and I playfully punch his arm.  "Meanie,"

    We get back to the apartment and I see my old apartment door is open. I let go of Steve's hand and tell him to be quiet. I slowly walk in with my fake gun in hand. Yes, I bought a fake gun to scare people. The kitchen looks the same as when I left it, but even cleaner. One thing stands out. There are broken glass on the floor and small drops of blood on the floor.

     I step up the stairs, but look back at Steve who is looking worried and confused. I wave to him. "Steve, come up if I don't come down in five minutes," I tell him in a whisper. He nods and walks over to inspect the glass. I shake my head at him.

     The room upstairs is messy and has a bunch of clothes scattered around. I see Lena's keys are gone and none of her clothes are on the floor so I'm assuming she left him after he dumped her after I dumped him. I smile at the thought of Chris actually caring that I left him.
      I walk into the guest bedroom. Then, my eyes water as I look at Chris who is sleeping on the floor with bloody and bruised hands. I move towards him and almost reach out to touch him. I was a little happy to be checking in on him, but now seeing this mess it seems sad to see him like this. I ruined his life. I shouldn't have dumped him.

      Chris moves a little in his sleep, his arm flys out, and grabs me. I smile at him and pat his head. Chris stands up straight and let's go of me. He turns to me and tilts his head. "Ev?" He asks. I nod, Chris's eyes water, and he comes to hug me. "I thought you left me," Chris says.

     Tears well up in my eyes. "Chris," I say, pulling back. "I did and I've got a new life now. It's time for you to get one too. We can't live like this anymore. I can't live like this anymore," I explain to him. Tears fall from his face. "O-ok, I-I love you," he tells me. "I love you too. Stay safe and there's a mess downstairs btw," I say, making him smile. "O-o-k, b-bye..." He says. My heart breaks for him. I broke his heart. This was so much harder than I thought.

      As I walk out of the room I can hear Chris's sniffles still. I feel so horrible but I know it's was the right thing to do. I wipe the tears from my face and step down a stair. Then another and then another. I feel like just falling down the stairs. My feet feel so heavy and I don't want to move. Finally, I get to the bottom.

     Steve waits for me on the bottom step and he pulls me into his arms, having heard everything. "Why don't you take a nap before the mission?" I nod, tears leaking out of my eyes and he carries me back to my new life. Back to where I belong.