Chapter 8: Failed Plan and New Love

Ten minutes later all the bags are in the lobby and now it is time to wait till Lena leaves. "Steve, you want something to eat?" "Um, Ya actually, I am pretty hungry." He answers. "What would you like? I've got leftover Panda Express." I say. "That would be great, thank you Evie." "You completed your homework! I love it! Evie!" I squeal. Captain America gave me a nickname. Yay Yay yay. Ok I'm fangirling again. "Ya, It suits you." He says. "Why thank you." I say, curtsying. Steve laughs at me and I join him.

After the food is warmed up and plated, we sit down at the table to eat. Once I have taken a few bites I hear a crash and then feet stomping down the stairs. I quickly scoot my chair back. Steve's fork clatters back down onto the table as I pull him out of his chair. I pull him into the closet by the door and slide down the wall. Steve closes the door quietly and I peek through the crack.

Chris walks down the stairs with Lena still clinging to his side. Their clothing is super messed up and Lena's hair is sticking out at all angles. Such a buttface! Man! Why can't he be a normal boyfriend. Tears prick at my eyes and wipe them away with my shirt sleeve. Steve silently rubs my back comfortingly. I smile thankfully at him. He nods.

Once Lena is gone and Chris is upstairs drinking more, I open the door and motion for Steve to follow. "Go back to your room. I'll meet you there later once I've finished." "I'll just bring your bags back up too then." He says. Oh crap! "Omg. Steve I'm so sorry. I forgot. Omg I'm so stupid!" I say, face palming. "That's alright. I'll skip the workout today." He says and I laugh.

"Sorry..." I say again. Steve puts a hand on my shoulder. "It's ok, really." Steve says. The feeling of his hand on my shoulder makes me smile. He is so helpful and adorable. Ok. I'm falling for Steve Rogers. Darn. I thought this would be easy. Well liking him is great, but do I love him? Or am I just...ugh I don't even know anymore.

I eat my food and then cautiously so upstairs. I climb the last step and then a book is thrown at my head. I duck just in time and run at Chris. I tackle him to the ground. His head rolls around dizzily and I pull him by the shirt until he is on the bed in a heap. "Chris." I whisper. He looks up at me with dazed eyes. "Sweety. I'm really sorry...but,..." I look down and a silent tears falls down my cheek. "I'm leaving." I say, looking up into his eyes. For a moment I see realization hit him, but then his eyes show nothing but tiredness.

More tears fall down my cheeks. He doesn't know. He doesn't get it. "I'm so sorry Evie." I hear him whisper. It's so hard to say goodbye even if he is so horrible to me. I used to love him so much. I thought I would be fine telling him I'm leaving but now...it's really hard. I hear him sniffling. He's not drunk. He was faking. "I'm sorry Chris." I say, walking over to him.

"No, you are right to leave. I was a horrible boyfriend. I think you should go. But you know, I will always love you." He says. "Shit..." I whisper. The feet fly in from of me before I can even come to a conclusion on what to do. He instantly hugs me back. Then finally we break apart. "I love you too. I hope Lena loves you too." I say. He nods. I walk back to the door. He looks at me walking away. "Junior High Sweethearts." He says. "Junior High Sweethearts." I say. I'll miss him. But this is for the best. I'm an emotional wreck.

"Thanks Steve." I say, holding my hot coca in my hands. "No problem. It must be hard leaving him. You were with him for how long?" He asks. "I pretty long time..." I say. Steve nods sympathetically. "Sorry, I'll just really trying to get through this. It's hard you know. I mean he was horrible, but we would have these moments and I just love those moments but they were really-" "Evie. I know it's hard. Just rest. We've got the party tomorrow." Steve says. I sigh. Wait! Party? Omgs! "Oh ya! That's right." I say. "Yep. You'd better get to bed." He says, taking my hand. I stand up and place the mug on the counter.

"Goodnight, Evie." Steve says, stroking my hair. I pull up the covers to my chin. Steve sits at the side of the bed. "Goodnight Steve." I say.

----Steve's P.O.V----

As I stroke Evie hair I realize how beautiful she is. With her long blonde hair and brown eyes. (bridgit-mendler-bieber-dating-) I wonder how she's stayed sane through all these years. Living with man who is abusive must be horrible. I admire her braveness. Her personality makes me smile. She's very fit and muscular. I think I'm in love.

She stares at me for the longest time and then she closes her eyes and falls asleep. While she sleeps her lips are slightly parted and she makes quiet snoring sounds.

After a while I got back to my room and change into my sleeping clothes. I check my phone and see that Natasha has been texting me.
Nat: I thought you were sick! Where are you?
Nat: is it a yes to the date on Saturday?
Nat: why aren't you replying?
Nat: fine ttyl

I roll my eyes at her. And reply:
Steve: I'm taking care of a friend. She's living at my place now. Tell you more at the party. Goodbye

Then I decide to check on Evie again. And just so you know. I worked super hard on that nickname and I didn't want her to know that so I acted like I made it up on the spot. I'm very proud of it.

Evie has rolled over in the sleep and she has a hand on her cheek. Then something stand out on her hand. It looks like a cut. Where did she get that? Maybe her ex boyfriend did that to her. I still can't get over how horrible it sounds for an innocent girl like Evie to be treated like that, or any girl to be treated like that. It sickens me.

I go back to my room after kissing Evie on the cheek. As I pull back the covers I realize how exhausted I am. Evie wore me out today. I guess this is what it feels like to be in love. Yes, I've come to a conclusion. I am in love with Evelyn Sanders. I just hope she feels the same.