Chapter 21: Forgiving

---Steve's P.O.V---

Evelyn has been sitting on that bench, thinking for a while now and I really hope I didn't mess things up between us. Her red eyes search the crowd for a moment and I wonder if she's looking for me, but she wouldn't. She would not want to see me after I scared her to death. Her eyes start to water again as she stares at an exhibit.

"James Buchanan Barnes and Steve Rogers were inseparable until Bucky had to leave to go to England where they were then captured by Nazis and then the unit was taken from the Nazis to Hydra. All the while Steve had become the super soldier. Steve found out about his friend and wouldn't rest until he found Bucky. Steve took a 'rescue' team to go and save the soldiers being held hostage in Hydra. Steve accomplished his mission and took the soldiers back and among them was Bucky. Steve brought back the unit and prepared to take down Hydra," a voice spoke.

I have had enough talk about my past life, but Evelyn hadn't. She stared at the picture of Bucky and I with wide tearful eyes. I'm not sure if she was crying about how horrible my past life was of still of how I scared her. Probably the first one since I know her so well and she wouldn't be crying so hard over something like that.

"The train railing broke and James plummeted to a horrific death and Steve has been heartbroken ever since," the voice said again. By this time I was already crying. Evie finally found what she was looking for in the crowd and came over to me. "Steve," she whispered. "I'm extremely sorry. No one should experience anything like that," she told me, rubbing my shoulders. Her golden brown eyes search the crowd again and they land on some elderly people crying as well as they watch the heartbreaking video. I guess we fit right in.

We sat there together for a while in the comfortable silence. We did not speak. Nor did we look at each other. My past life has been haunting me, but it almost feels better to have someone state it like that. There were people crying over my experience and I was so grateful that they shared my sadness. I was so grateful for Evelyn and her comfort. I know I can count on her to comfort me when I'm feeling the littlest bit solemn. After a while I couldn't take it anymore.

"Evie. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have made you do that. I was just, I was feeling really mischievous and I wanted to have some fun but I never knew you were that afraid. I-I. I shouldn't have done it," I say, frowning. "No, I'm sorry. I was over reacting. It just scared me so much-" "You have the right to be scared. I pushed you past your comfort zone...in a bad way. I'm sorry. I hope you can forgive me," I say, denying her statement.

"You are fully forgiven, Steve. I should be pushed past my limits a bit. Besides, it wasn't that bad..." She told me, smiling. I cup her beautiful face in my hands and kiss her. I smile into the kiss as she strokes my face, taking the little bits of sadness away. We break apart after a while. "Better?" I asks, grinning. She laughs her face brightening.

"Yeah, much. I don't think we should stay here or we will both start crying again," she says, giggling. I smile at her. "Yeah, I agree," I say, pulling my hoodie down. Some people stare, but I just smile and follow my soon to be girlfriend out the door. I am so lucky.

---Sorry it took so long to update, school has been rough. Thanks so much for reading!