Chapter 8

Alex Wilson was much more harder to control than his sister. He really got on my nerves. All he did every night was just playing video games either using computer or Playstation. Every time I asked him whether he had any homework, he always answered no. These two nights I had not tutored him anything because he was so damn difficult to get to talk to. Moreover, he did not care about Lola. He never even glanced at that little poor girl. Okay, I understood that she was just his stepsister, but why did he ignore her at all?

“Hey, Alex. Please stop playing that Crash Bandicoot and turn off the computer. You should study...” I said helplessly as I passed through his room. His bedroom door always opened. So did his window. He did not bother to close it until I had to sneak into his room after he slept in order to prevent him from catching a cold. Yesterday he saw me doing it and yelled at me, so from now on I would just let it open.

“Don’t you know anything about games? I’m playing Dota not that lame stuff you just mentioned. There’s no way I will read a book so don’t waste your time with me. Just go back to sing Lola a lullaby,” he said without looking at me. His hands were busy with the keyboard. The sound of him tapping his fingers just drove me nuts. I exhaled hard and leaned upon the door.

“Lola is already sleeping. Alex, I beg you... if your mom calls and asks me about this I will feel so guilty. I don’t wanna get paid for doing nothing,” I said in a low voice. Alex turned to me with wide eyes.

“You beg me?” He looked surprised. I nodded my head.

“Well, that ain't gonna happen. Now shoo,” he said, waving his hand. I clenched my palms as anger overtook me. I had stoop that low in front of him but he still acted like a jerk.

“Kelsey?” I was about to get out of there when he called my name. I started to hope again he would ask me a help with math.

“Just do my laundry over there if you want to get the money in a fair way,” said he, pointing at the basket full of dirty clothes at the corner of his room.

“Screw you, Alex,” I hissed and left him immediately, who was laughing at me. I decided to go back into my room and did my own homework. I glanced at the clock. It was past eleven already. This job had taken much of my time; I hardly kept up with my own assignments. I opened my textbook and started to work on the trigonometry problems the teacher had given. It was due tomorrow. When I was going to flip the page, my cell phone rang. Joey called.

“What?” I said, annoyed. I heard a loud laughter and music sound behind him. Oh, crap. He must have held a party again in our apartment. When would he ever grow up? Joey!

“Hi, sista. I run out of money,” he said directly, without even asking how I was or about my health.

“You’re talking to the wrong person. Ask Harold. Or get a job already!” I snapped.

“Hey, don’t be rude. I’m your brother.”

This time there was a sound of a girl giggling and it seemed that he was kissing someone.

“Yeah, you obviously are, and aren’t you supposed to feed your little sister, not the opposite? I’m busy, stop calling!” I quickly hung up and turned off the phone.

“Um, sorry to intrude.”

 I turned around and found Alex standing behind me, holding a piece of paper and a pencil.

“What do you want?” I asked roughly. Joey’s call still affected my emotion.

“I need a help with homework,” he said, shrugging. My mouth gaped. What had gotten into him?

“Well, I’m going to help you since I’m obliged to, but please wait a second. I also have to do mine. It’s rather difficult,” I said, staring sadly at my textbook.

“Let me see.”

Alex seized my book before I could prevent him and he checked it out with a serious expression. Come on, what did he know about twelfth grade subject? He was just a junior high school student.

“It’s a piece of cake. You can’t do this and you say you’re smart?” He looked at me with an underestimating look and started to scribble something on my book. I was just stunned staring at him.

“Done.” He threw the pen on the table and handed me over his paper. “Now help me make a damn poem. I suck big time at it.”

I looked at his work in disbelief. Holy shit! He did my math problems in less than five minutes. Now I felt like an idiot.

“You’re so freaking genius!” I shrieked. Alex rolled his eyes. He did not look proud or anything.

“Whatever. The theme is about rainbow and it has to have the emotion and analogy in it. Quickly, please. I’m sleepy.” He yawned.

“Why are you pretending to be stupid? I don’t get it. You make Gemma crazy, you know.” I was still bemused at his intelligence. Alex showed a dislike face as I mentioned Gemma’s name.

“I don’t care about that woman. She’s a witch.”  

“Why are you saying such a rude thing about her? Gemma is very kind,” I said firmly. Alex sat down on the bed and talked.

“No, you don’t know anything about her. She made my mom killed herself. That wicked woman had a filthy affair with my unfaithful dad and...”

“You lie,” I cut him out, as I covered my mouth in shock. He looked straight into my eyes; there was no sign of lying on his expression.

“That’s the truth. My mom jumped off the bridge after she found out,” he said bitterly.

“Oh my God...” I mumbled, still could not believe of what I heard.

“Anyway, it’s none of your business. Don’t be too nosy,” he said irritably.

“Um, okay, sorry.” I just succeeded to talk with this boy, so I’d better not spoil it. I was not really an expert in poem, though, and Alex kept protesting every time I wrote a line. He eventually did the poem by himself. What a waste of my precious time.

“Gosh, it’s 1 a.m.! I gotta go to school early in the morning. Alex, go back to your room and sleep.” I pushed him to the door. He surprisingly did not fight back and just dragged his feet lazily.

 “Kels, you didn’t help me much, but thanks anyway.” He gave me a slight smile and walked off. Hmmm, I guessed he was not a bad kid after all. Maybe we could get along well, who knows?