Chapter 16

“Mom?” Elsa shows me a hopeful face as she clutches a box containing a Barbie doll. I look down at her and shake my head firmly.

“No, dear. You have had three Barbies already at home, haven’t you? I’m not going to buy you another one,” I say sternly. Elsa scoffs and pouts, putting the box back into the showcase. I stretch out my hand to her, but she refuses to hold it.

“Listen, Elsa. It’s the end of the month and our economy is not in a good state. We’re here to shop for our daily needs only, you got it?” Wait, what am I talking about? Gosh. Sometimes I forget to whom I talk to. She is only eight; maybe she does not even know yet the meaning of ‘economy’.

“Mom, you’re stingy. I hate you,” she says.

“Okay, whatever. Come on.”

I roll my eyes and push the trolley. Maybe you think I’m such a bad mother, saying something like that you my daughter. However, ‘whatever’ is not a good word to say to an annoyed little girl. I know that, but I am a little bit stressed out right now because of my works which are piling up on my desk, waiting for me to finish them. Plus, this afternoon I had to go to a crime scene of a murder to collect some information because my boss told me to write an article about that and the deadline is two hours from now. Staring at a bleeding dead body for hours really made me sick and I do not feel well at the moment.

“Elsa, do you want apple or orange juice?” I ask, running my fingers through the rack. She does not answer.

“Well then I’ll just pick the apple juice since you don’t want to choose.”

I take a 1 liter bottle full of golden liquid and put it in the trolley.

“Elsa, I know you’re still angry about the Barbie, but...”

I stop talking when I realize that she is not behind me.

“Elsa?” I call out, looking over the snack rack. I look around frantically and cannot find her. Oh my God, where is she?

Panicked, I neglect the trolley and rush to find her.

“Excuse me; do you see a blond little girl who wears a blue ribbon on her hair?” I ask to a salesperson whom I bump into. He frowns and makes a thinking expression.

“Is she carrying a backpack with Elmo picture on it?” the salesperson asks. I nod quickly.

“Yes, yes. So, where is she?”

“I saw her running out of this supermarket just a minute ago. That way,” he says, pointing at the exit gate. I thank him and immediately run to the direction he has shown. I feel like I was in a movie, running with freaked out face while calling for Elsa. I stop for a while and lean on a glass wall, panting. How am I going to find her? I am in the middle of a large supermall. I take a deep breath and start to search again, going up and down the escalator, coming in and out the elevator, and exploring every corner of this building. She is nowhere. I am so freaking afraid that she is kidnapped.

“Elsa...where are you...” I mutter desperately. Then my eyes catch a security guard who is standing not far from me. I quickly realize my stupidity for not asking help. Hobbling, I walk towards him.

“Excuse me.”

I poke the security guard and start to explain about Elsa’s characteristics. He squints and gestures at our left.

“You mean, that girl?”

I gasp when I see a figure I have been looking for sitting on a bench. She is not more than ten meters from where I am standing; how can’t I see her? Blushing, I say thanks to the guard and walk fast to get Elsa. I stop when I see that she is not alone. Elsa is sitting next to a man I recognize. Alex.

God! What is she doing with him?

My heart is pounding and drops of sweat flowing down my neck. I do not know what to do. If I approach Elsa now, Alex will see me. What if he asks who she is? What am I going to say? But I cannot risk myself of losing her again.

From afar, I see Alex touching Elsa’s shoulder and talks to her. Oh no. What if he asks where her parent is? What if Elsa mentions my name? No, no, no.

I accelerate my steps and before I can breathe normally, I already stand up behind them. I clear my throat and call Elsa.

“Elsa? Oh, where have you been? I’ve been looking for you!” I shriek and grab Elsa’s arm. “M...” Her eyes widen and she opens her mouth to speak, but I quickly cover her mouth with my palm. Alex turns around and startles to see my presence.

“Kelsey? What are you doing here?” he asks. “And who is this?”

He points at Elsa. I gulp nervously and try to stay cool.

“Hi, Alex. I didn’t expect to meet you here. Um, she is...my...friend’s daughter,” I answer randomly, glancing at Elsa who stares at me in shock. Alex does not seem to believe me, but he nods his head slightly.

“Next time you have to be careful. You can’t let a little girl walking alone in this place.”

He looks at me as if I am the most careless person.

“Yes, I know. She was just angry because I didn’t buy her a toy and ran away,” I say, still covering Elsa’s mouth. The girl is struggling to release herself; she looks puzzled of what happens.

“Hey, I have to go now. Bye, Alex,” I immediately excuse myself, dragging Elsa.

“Kelsey, wait!” Alex calls out.

“What?” I ask impatiently. He moves closer to me.

“I’m wondering whether you’re free this Sunday,” he says shyly. I raise my eyebrows. Does he ask me out?

“Sorry, Alex, I really have to go.”

I give him an awkward smile and walk away.

“Oh, okay then...” he mumbles, disappointed. Alex does not chase me and I do not dare to look back. After we arrive at the parking lot, Elsa glares at me and yells,

“Mom! What do you mean by saying I’m your daughter’s friend?!”

She was starting to weep.

“I didn’t mean it, honey. It’s just that...”

“Just what? I knew it! I knew it...I’m not your daughter. I was adopted...you’re not my mom!” Elsa shouts, crying.

Oh, God. What a mess.