Chapter 14

Hailey's P.o.v.

Crying. Is the only thing that we were doing. Beth sobs as she walks to a walker.

"Mommy." She cries bending down to the dead walker. The walker openes it's eyes and pulls Beth down my her hair.

"Beth!" I scream going to her aid. I pull her away and Glenn takes down the walker. We all start walking to the house.

"You knew all along!" Shane yells.

"I didn't." Hershal says.

"We've been looking for a little girl who was dead. She was here along! You knew!"

Hershal turns around and stares Shane in the eye.

"Otis must of put her in the barn before he died. I didn't know." Hershal goes to walk into his house.

"Stop the bullshit! It's not going to work on me! You knew you bas-"

"Don't talk to him like that!" Maggie yells after slapping Shane in the face. I smirk a bit. He deserved it.

Hershal stands on his porch, looking down on us.

"What you just felt, is what Hailey has been feelings for a week." Hershal says. He clears his throat.

Oh no...

"A couple weeks ago Hailey came to me with a bruised neck, lost voice, and a red cheek. Shane hit her because she knew his secret. Shane killed Otis. Hailey knew and he told her he would kill her if she told anyone. I'm sorry Hailey but it's time this came to an end."

I look at Rick who is looking at me speechless. I turn my eyes to Shane who is has his eyes dead set on me.

"Rick, I want you and your people off of my land by tomorrow night."

Wait! What!?

Hershal looks at James and I.

"Hailey and James can stay."

Carl's P.o.v.

"Hailey and James can stay."

What...? I can't leave without her! My heart sinks as I think of life without her. She looks at me with her blue eyes. They are filled with worry. She doesn't know what to do. I clear my throat and walk into the house. I go into Beth's room and sit on her bed, staring at the door.

I want to cry.

I want to scream.

I want her to walk through those doors and tell me she's going to come with us.

I hear the bedroom door open, and sure enough it's her. Her eyes filled with tears. Mine about to be too. She slowly walks to me. I go to her and wrap her in a hug.

"Carl I don't know what do." She whispers. I sigh as I rub her back.

"If you want to stay because it's safe you can. I understand." I say as a tear falls. I feel her heart beat grow fast. She pulls away and looks into my eyes.

"I-I can't stay here without you. W-With out the group. I love you guys...well except for Shane."

Shane was the reason why we had to leave. All of a sudden I had an idea. I kiss her head and hug her gently.

"I'll be right back."

I leave her standing in the room. I run outside to my dad's tent.

"Dad?" I call. He steps out of his tent with a look of shock. In his hand is a box.

"Yes Carl?" He asks not even looking at me. I wave my hand infront of him, getting his attention.

"Dad, are you...are you okay?" I ask. He nods his head.

"I-I'm fine. What is it?"

"Shane is the reason why we are being kicked out. Look, I don't want to break up with Hailey because of this prick, but that's what going to happen if we leave and she stays. I know she's going to stay because she wants to keep her little brother safe. What I'm trying to say is, is there a way you can talk to Hershal about letting us stay...i-..if we kick Shane out?"

I knew Shane since I was little, but he's changed and I can't trust him.

"Yeah...I...I will think about it. H-Have you seen your mother?" Dad asks totally brushing off my question.

I sigh.

"No."

Dad walks off to find my mother and I walk back to the house. Hailey is sitting on the couch. James is on the floor playing with car's Glenn found on a run the other day. I look at Hailey. She's sitting there, playing with her fingers and staring at the floor.

"Hailey?" I ask. Her shoots up and I motion her over.

"Did you make up your decision?" I ask as she walks to me. She shakes her head as tears start to form. I grab her cheek with my hand.

"Hey..." I say looking into her eyes.

"It'll be okay. I promise."

She slightly smiles. I pull her face close to mine and kiss her lips softly.

A loud crash gets our attention and we slowly pull away.

"Beth!" Hailey screams running into the kitchen.

"C-Carl is she alive?!" She screams.

"I...I don't know."

Maggie runs in and sees Beth laying there on the kitchen floor. I help Maggie bring Beth into another spare bedroom. The sound of Hailey crying breaks my heart.

"Where's Hershal?" I ask.

We all look at eachother.

"Haven't seen him since the barn incident." Patricia says.

Maggie looks back at her.

"He left and I know exactly where he went."