Chapter 21

A/N: Sadly the goal didn't work this time, but thank you to everyone who did vote and comment. I'm not going to make a goal anymore, I'm just going to make Sunday the days I update. Please feel free to comment and vote. I love to talk with you guys!

Carl's P.o.v.

My eyes open and Hailey is poking my cheeks.

"What are you doing?" I laugh. She giggles which makes me smile.

"Nothing." She says innocently. "Just trying to wake you up."

"Well, it worked." I say sitting on the edge of the bed, my bare feet hitting the cold floor. Hailey got up and got dressed.

I just watched her. Her perfect body fitting in clothes that compliment her curves.

"Are you trying to tease me?" I ask as she pulls a pair of ripped jeans up her thighs. I never seen her wear this outfit before. I've seen those shoes but never that top and bottom. (Picture ⬆)

"Shut up." She laughs.

"Where did you get that? That top and pants?" I ask which causes her to laugh harder.

"Maggie found it awhile ago while we were rummaging through a house." She says putting on her socks and her gray sneakers.

"Do you think the showers in here work?" She asks spraying her perfume.
God I love it.

"Want to go ask my dad?"

She nods.

"But first I need to check on James."

Does James know the truth about his father? Does he know he has another sister?
I feel bad to ask her but maybe it will help her get some things out.

"Hailey?" I ask changing into a new shirt.

"Yes?" She says blushing after I pull my clean shirt down.

"Does James know the truth about your father and his other sister?"

She sighs.

"No, my mother and I lied to him. We told him that our father one day went to the store, said he would be back, but never came. Mom didn't want to tell him the full story until he was older."

I pull her into a hug and kiss her temple.

"I'm sorry baby."

She shakes her hair head and lays her chin on my chest so she could look up at me.

"When the time comes for me to tell him can you please be there?" She asks. I smile and rub her back.

"Of course. Now, weren't we about to go see if the showers work?" I ask. She pulls away and kisses me.
God I love her.

"James first."

I nod and grab her hand. We walk out of our cell and into James's cell. He is asleep, sprawled out on the bed. Hailey laughs which brings me joy. Her laugh is so adorable. In any situation it makes me happy. It brightens up my dad so much.

"Let's go see if those showers are working now." She grabs my hand and walks me down the steps. We glance over at Hershal. Hailey almost screams when she sees him awake.
Hershal is like a father to her. She lets go of my hand and runs into his cell. I laugh quietly as I walk up.

Hailey hugs him with tears pouring out of her eyes.

"I am so glad you are...alive." She smiles. He rubs his thumb over her knuckles.
"Me too."

I smile at them. I'm glad she has some sort of a father figure.

"Carl?" Dad asks getting my attention. He walks out of the cell and motions me to follow him. I look at Hailey and she nods. I nod back before walking out to my dad.