Chapter 61

Trigger warning for violence... just to be on the safe side.

════════════

Faint voices reached her ears and the pounding in her head intensified. She didn't know where she was or what happened, she couldn't think properly... everything was foggy... and her throat felt weird...

"– almost killed her! Maybe you did, she still hasn't moved! Fuck!"

"Relax, would you? So what if she's dead, that wouldn't be such a bad thing... why did you even stop me? We could have finished this once and for all!"

Camila barely bit back a whimper when she finally recognized the voices and remembered what happened... what Gabriel had tried to do... and another horrifying thought came to mind; if she was with them, then they hadn't been stopped by the police and she was still in danger. And where was Sofi? Was she okay?

"Are you fucking crazy?!" Luis screeched. "Are you out of your fucking mind?! Florida has the goddamn death penalty! What do you think is going to happen when they catch us? If I hadn't pulled you off of her or stopped you from looking for that stupid kid, they would have already arrested us! Didn't you hear the fucking sirens when we left?!"

The only good thing about this situation was that her hands and legs weren't tied together. She felt that she was lying on a smooth concrete floor. That had to mean they took her somewhere else... but to where? And what happened to Sofi?

"They won't," Gabriel replied, sounding as confident as ever. "We would have had time to take that brat too, if you hadn't panicked like a little bitch. We just need to get rid of Karla and everything will be fine. The word of a little girl is nothing, they would destroy her in court. And she's not dead, I only gave her a good knockout to keep her from waking up. Relax, Luis."

Camila let out a little sigh of relief. Her sister was okay. Now she just had to find a way out of this situation. She slowly opened her eyes, but almost immediately closed them again. Her head was killing her...

"How can you so casually talk about this? Fuck, what did I get myself into..."

She blinked her eyes open again and this time she could finally look around. But that didn't answer any of her questions. It was a large hall with very high ceilings and looked more like an old factory building than anything else. Which it probably was. She was lying in the middle of the massive hall, Luis and Gabriel were standing near the only door about twenty feet away from her.

Taking another look around, Camila noticed disheartened that the entire building was empty. There was nothing that she could have used as a weapon. What would happen when they stopped arguing? How was she supposed to escape? And where was she exactly? Would someone be able to find her? She glanced back to the two at the door and watched silently. Maybe she could get Luis on her side somehow...

"Now shut the fuck up!" Gabriel grabbed Luis by his shirt and pulled him closer. "You hear me? This is not the time to get cold feet, we're doing something good!"

"That girl died," Luis hissed and tore away from Gabriel. "Lauren said she died. That wasn't the fucking plan, Gabe, you only wanted us to push her around a little and to rough her up! Not to fucking kill her, dammit! And now you want to do it again?"

Camila grimaced. So she had been right... it was them. They had really murdered Hailee... and now she was alone with them...

"She was a dyke, she didn't deserve any better," Gabriel snarled and pushed Luis back. "You better get your priorities straight, Luis. Did you call them?"

Luis scoffed. "Yes, I did. They should be here any minute now. But why? We had a deal to –"

"The deal is off, we'll make a new one. And I want to know who talked."