Chapter 78

"Okay, and now look up!"

"Up to where?"

"Up to the moon, where else?!"

"Bossy," Camila muttered and tilted her head up. "Can I –"

"Stop talking," Jacob hushed her and the camera clicked a few times. "And stop moving!"

"It's fricking cold up here!"

"Suck it up!"

Camila huffed, but tried to hold as still as possible. They were standing on the rooftop of the apartment building and it was freezing. Not only because of the cold temperatures, but also because she wasn't wearing gloves, a hat or even a scarf. No, Mr Jacob 'I'm a professional photographer at heart'  Vanderbilt wanted the picture to be aesthetic. Whatever that meant. And so she found herself bracing the icy wind wearing nothing but a skinny jeans, a turtleneck and an open coat surrounded by snow. The coldness wasn't doing any good for her guitar either that Jacob forced her to carry for this photo.

"Put a little bit more yearning into your facial expression... and smile a little! But only a little! No, not like that... a bit more, like... wistful! Melancholic!"

"How about painful?  Because my hands are about to fall off..."

"Ha, ha. Wasn't this your idea? I'm not forcing you to do anything, I'm here on a favor."

And he was right. Grumbling, she followed his instructions as best as she could by concentrating on what was right above her. The moon was the biggest she had ever seen and that was why they had postponed this photo shoot until now. For almost two weeks she had been constantly working on Lauren's gift. Or rather on the second part  of her present.

The inspiration had come from one of her professors the day after their romantic stroll through Central Park and she hadn't been able to stop thinking about it. On her way home she had immediately contacted Jacob to ask him whether or not it was possible to get it done before Christmas. She knew that he had the experience and the connections she needed for this project to work out exactly how she imagined it to be, and he had assured her that everything would be fine, if they kept a tight schedule.

Which was exactly what they had been doing. In the last couple of days Camila had worked with Jacob until late at night on the present, unwilling to stop before it was no less than perfect. And it had totally paid off. Although Lauren was getting pretty impatient with all her absences lately and yesterday even refused to cuddle with her. How fair was that?! But the end product would be worth her grumpy and sulking girlfriend. Lauren would be blown away. At least Camila hoped she would be...

"Brilliant," Jacob breathed and finally lowered the camera. "I think we're done. And I outdid myself. Granted, I never had such a beautiful model in front of me, but..."

She couldn't help but snort when he winked at her before handing her a travel mug. Gratefully accepting it, Camila took a sip of the hot chocolate as Jacob wrapped the blanket around her after freeing her from the guitar. The drink warmed her from the inside and she sighed with contentment. "Thanks. God, I really needed this..."

"You okay? I know it took longer than expected, but I think you'll be pleased with the outcome. Look at this masterpiece!"

Nodding, she scooted closer to him as he showed her the camera display. Her jaw dropped as she stared down at it, not believing that this was really herself. The picture was beautiful. Everything just fit. The moon, the lighting, her outfit, the scenery... it was perfect. "Whoa!"

"Told ya, it looks lit!"

"I'm impressed. You actually knew what you were doing," she teased him, but Jacob merely chuckled and put an arm around her shoulders to keep her warm.