Chapter 19

Many Days Later...

Bella P.O.V

I draw small circles on his chest with my index finger, my head laying on his shoulder. He does the same on my back, kissing the top of my head every now and them, rubbing his nose against my forehead.

The silence is pleasant, it's good to be able to be in silence, just admiring each other. No need of words, nothing. Just each other. I close my eyes, inhaling his scent. I begin to hum the song Momma used to sing to me when I was a very young girl.

By dawn, it was time for Edward to leave. I walk him to my window and kiss him goodbye.

During breakfast, things were silent and Father did not show up. It made me feel nervous at some point, he never misses breakfast. Nana said he was in his office working and that he did not want to be bothered. Emmett offered to take me to town and walk, but it's an activity I do almost daily that it gets tiring at some point doing the same thing over and over again.

Instead, we practice fencing a little longer. Yet again, Emmett lost all battles against me.

Our fighting session was interrupted by clapping. I look over at the door where Jacob Black stands wiry a smog on his face.

"May I help you, Sir?" Emmett asked, taking his mask off.

"Oh, no, I was just enjoying the show," Jacob says. "It's flattering to know my bride to be is very good at sports."

Emmett growls at his comment. "My sister is not your bride to be, not because my father signed a contract means it's official."

"I know. Clearly, your sister demonstrated her independence at the ball," he replies.

I take my mask off and sigh, "What do you want, Jacob? I am not marrying you because of the contract and certainly not because I would consider it."

He nods. "I know, Isabella. That's why I came with an offer. I also practice the art of fencing. So, this is the deal. Your father owes mine and very large amount of money, money that was going to be paid off by our marriage. A union of two forces, but you've shown no interest. So, hear me out on this. You and me in a combat, fencing. Three rounds. If you win, I will leave you and your family alone. You can all continue with your lives."

"And if you win?" I ask.

"You marry me and do as the contract says you will do."

"Bella, this is insane," Emmett says. "It's one thing you fight against me, but it's a completely different one if you fight against him over something serious. This situation is not a game and I'm not allowing it."

"You're right, this is no game," I say. I walk toward Jacob and offer him my hand. "May the best one win, Mr. Black."

"I'm sure one will." He takes my hand and squeezes it. I pull it away and nod. "The fight will be tonight. Here. I'll be expecting you after the seventeenth hour."

"I'll be here."

"Bella, this is insane!" Emmett protests.

"Farewell, Bella." Jacob turns over his heel and walks out of the room.

It might had been a rush of adrenaline, or maybe I was blinded by the hate I feel toward this man, but I noticed what I put myself into until he walked away.

"Bella, what will happen if you do not win?" Emmett says. "I cannot let you marry that man."

"The deal is made," I say. "If I win or lose, that will be decided tonight."