Sister of The Shield (Chapter 12)

Emily was an emotional mess. She got off an airplane in Pensacola Florida and when she went to get her stuff, she was greeted by Roman's parents. Roman's mom came up to her and hugged her.

"Hey Emily sweetie. How are you feeling? Roman told us you were upset, but wouldn't tell us exactly what was going on. So we wanted to be here for you. It's times like this when you need your family the most."

"I've just been through a lot over the past few weeks. I don't really want to talk about it here, can we talk about it when we get home?"

"Sure sweetie, and there's no hurry, you talk whenever you feel like talking, whenever you feel comfortable."

Emily gave them a small smile.

"I'm just... so glad you're here."

Since Emily was adopted, she didn't always call Roman's parents mom or dad. Once they got home, Emily went to her room and started to unpack her stuff. She had few pictures on a table beside her TV. One was a family picture, it had her, Roman, the Usos and Roman's dad. Emily looked at the picture and to her, it seemed like she was the only one in the picture that didn't belong. Emily looked at the picture, with Roman's family being Samoan she always felt like she never belonged. She was interrupted from her thoughts when she heard a knock on her door. She opened the door and saw Roman's dad.

"Hey Em... just wanted to see how you were doing."

"I just have a lot on my mind."

"Do you want to talk? Maybe there is something we can do to help."

Emily thought for a moment and then finally left her room and came in the living room.

"I don't even really know where to start."

"Tell us everything. We can't know how to help you if you won't tell us."

"Well... I guess I should start with how I feel. I really don't want to upset you... I love you both and you've done so much for me, but... I feel like I've never really fit in. I just feel like maybe I've done something wrong. I feel like I was a mistake, like maybe I shouldn't have even existed."

"Now don't be saying any of that. You are not a mistake. Where is all of this coming from?"

"I guess I've always thought this... I feel so... worthless. I can't remember what my real parents looked like, but I do remember that I had a brother. Again... I love you, and I appreciate everything you've done, I just wonder what my life would have been like if my real parents never gave me up. I remember the day I first arrived at the orphanage... my mom said she would be back and that I should play with a few toys while I wait. I saw her and my brother leave, but they never came back. I was so scared because I was left with a bunch of people I didn't know, and then they tell me that I would be staying there and that my mom wasn't coming back. I cried for the first few days, but then the people in charge just tried to keep me busy to forget about my mom leaving me. So I've always wondered two things ever since then... Why did my mom leave me, and take my brother, and why didn't she love me?... What did I do... that was so wrong that she would want to give me up?"

Both of Roman's parents hugged her as she started crying. It was Roman's mom that spoke up next.

"You didn't do anything wrong sweetie, and your mom did love you... There is just so much that you don't know. We wanted to tell you this when you were older, so now I think you should know the reason why you were sent to the orphanage... Before we adopted you, when we were signing papers and everything, the people in charge at the orphanage had a whole file on your family... They said that your real mom was not well. Your real parents had split up and it was really hard on your mom. Your real dad didn't know about this, but she had cancer, and when she left you at the orphanage, she only had a few months left to live. Your real brother was going to live with your real dad. Your real dad didn't know about this because he and your mom split up before you were born so he doesn't even know you exist. Your real mom thought the reason why the split up happened was because she was pregnant with you. They didn't know the real reason why the split up happened, but your mom thought that if your real dad knew you existed, he would think that you were not really his child and not take care of you... So... your really mother had cancer before you were even born, but she loved you enough to go through with the pregnancy. You were born healthy, but her health just kept getting worse, and this was a time before people could really do much about cancer. She tried to take care of you for as long as she could, but she knew she was dying, she sent your brother to live with his dad, and she sent you to the orphanage so that someone would adopt you and give you a better life."