Sister of The Shield (Chapter 23)

Emily entered the address that she hoped would lead her to her dad's house. She drove for six hours, and by the time she got to Tampa, it was after nine at night and she was exhausted. She was surprised that her car made it all the way with it being as old as it is. Emily finally found the address and saw two cars in the driveway. Emily pulled up into a driveway, she was excited, but nervous at the same time, she starting to have second thoughts. When her mom left her at the orphanage, it was because she didn't think her dad would take care of her. Emily had to push that aside, she really wanted to meet him, and also hopefully see her brother again. Emily had to wait a minute until she got the courage to get out of her car, she slowly started to make her way to the door. She looked around for a doorbell, when she didn't see one she knocked on the door. She stepped back and waited for a few seconds, when no one came to the door, she knocked a little louder the second time. She jumped and stepped back when she heard a big dog running, jumping, barking and growling at the door. A woman came to the door, pulled back the dog and opened the door. She wasn't expecting company and looked at Emily confused.

"Hello?"

"Hi. My name is Emily Thomas, and I was wondering if someone by the name of David or Matthew Thomas lived here?"

Emily's excitement faded when she got an answer she didn't want to hear.

"No. I'm sorry. I've lived here for ten years with my family."

"Oh... you wouldn't by any chance happen to know a David or Matthew Thomas or where they live do you?"

"No. I'm sorry."

Emily's heart sank, she had drove six hours all the way to Tampa only to find out that her dad didn't live here. Before she left she said one more thing to the woman that answered the door.

"Oh well... Thank you anyway, and I'm sorry for disturbing you at such a late hour."

Emily turned to leave disappointed and the lady closed her door She should have thought about this before she traveled all the way down here with the hope of finding her dad, only to disappoint herself. The address was on a file that was twenty four years old, and this lady said that she had been living here for ten years. Emily walked to her car and was about to leave when the lady came back out and yelled, getting her attention.

"Wait! There's something you should know!"

Emily stopped and looked up as the lady started running towards her. She stopped when she got to Emily and had to wait a second to catch her breath before she spoke again.

"You seemed like you were really looking for these people. My husband says that our neighbor has lived here for about thirty or forty years. If you're looking for someone that lived here before we did, our neighbor would probably know, you can ask them."

Emily smiled at this.

"Thank you."

"I hope you find them."

"I hope so too."

Emily pulled out of their driveway and pulled up in the neighbor's driveway. She got out and went up to the door. This time there was a doorbell and she pressed the doorbell and stepped back. The guy was much older and it took him a while to get to the door. He was in his fifties or sixties. He looked at Emily like maybe he recognized her, but when he didn't he had a confused look on his face.

"Hello?"

"Hi. My name is Emily Thomas. Your neighbor told me that maybe you would know the people that lived in their house before them. I'm looking for a David or Matthew Thomas."