Chapter Eighteen

Daniella

I walk down the flight of stairs and watch as Luke and his girlfriend share a tender embrace.

Though I can only see the back of her, I know she is beautiful. Her brown curly hair covers her head and hides her profile perfectly. She is this beautiful elegant woman who can wear baggy pants, a t-shirt, and sneakers yet still be the most beautiful girl in the room. I do not understand. I have not even seen her face yet and I am already extremely intimidated by her.

She turns around and flashes me a smile. Wow. She is like a supermodel. Gorgeous. Amazingly beautiful.

Wait. I shake my head slightly, just enough so I know and nobody else. I am a model. Why am I intimidated and jealous of her? We are the same. Duh. There is no reason to be afraid of her.

"Abby." She walks over to the stairs and sticks her hand out for me to shake. I take her hand in mine.

"Daniella." I reply. "But everyone calls me Daniella." I try to joke, realizing only after, how stupid I sounded saying it.

"Is that so, princess?" Michael walks down the stairs and places his arms on my shoulders, using me as an arm rest. "That is not what I call you." He clicks his tongue in my ear.

"It is okay, Michael. You don't have to play pretend. I already know the whole story. I am down with the plan. I think it is totally brilliant. Girlfriends being seen out together will totally confirm rumors of you two dating. Brilliant. Genius." She smiles and adjusts the bag on her shoulder.

I slump my shoulders over and push Michael off of me.

Is that the only reason she is here? That is why she is going out shopping with me? Does she even want to go with me? Or is this all just for publicity? Wow. I don't even know what to say about this.

Did Michael set this up? Or was it someone else's idea?

She did seem to direct her opinions on the plans brilliance towards Michael. Making me think it was his idea.

And I was thinking he actually cared and wanted to become a better person. He is just trying to juice me up to make a better show.

Wow. I am disgusted. I don't even have words to explain how violated I feel right now. I understand this is what my job entails, but, this? He could have just told me, been straight up with me.

Abby kisses Luke goodbye and walks out to her car.

I walk outside and get in to the car without saying goodbye or making eye contact with anyone. I feel so used.

I sit on the passenger side and stare out the window while she drives.

"Is that why you are here?" I ask, randomly, the conversations spiraling in my head over and over.

"What?" She asks.

Oh. I wasn't speaking out loud that whole time. I just jumped and expected her to know what I was saying. My bad.

"Sorry. It is just kind of eating away at me. Is this just a publicity thing. Like, were you forced to do this? It is kind of upsetting to think about it that way." I try to explain myself.