19 -Mitch

Warning, bland and awkward
-

I felt the shift in the mood as soon as the blonde stepped into the house. The sound of the rain -unusual in sunny California- added to the suddenly gloomy mood, and then the thought hit me.
He probably chose to go with Alex to New York and he was coming to start packing up his stuff. He was sad because he was leaving the band. And me, his roommate and his best friend since community theatre.
Scott came in with puffy eyes and soaking wet clothing. But as soon as he saw me, he walked over without saying a word and collapsed, head in my lap.
Surprised, I set my laptop to the side and pushed Wyatt the motorboat away. "Scott...? What the hell happened? And you're going to ruin the couch with your wet clothes."
Scott waved me off. "I did it, Mitchie."
"Did what?" Intensity. Damn you.
"I..." Scott took a moment to wipe his eyes. "I um..."
I started to run my fingers through his hair. It was a more-than-friendly type of gesture, but the whole head-in-lap thing was like that anyway. "You can tell me..."
He sniffled. "I told him to go to New York."
"And...?"
"Without me."
"Oh.." Whoa.
What does this mean? I thought to myself. Relax. The band, you dummy. And Sup3rfruit.
"Yeah...so now I guess I'm...single." Scott propped himself up on his elbows to look at me with his sad eyes. I swear my heart melted.
But I gave him a sad, sympathetic smile. "He shouldn't have made you choose."
"Maybe he thought that I'd choose him. Even after everything that the band has accomplished. I understand why he's upset, but I hate him right now because he didn't take me into account at all."
Sure he did, I thought. He wanted you there with him, didn't he? What else could he have done?
"Well...I know it sucks right now. Breakups are kind of..."
"Pissy?"
I laughed halfheartedly. What else was there to do? I'm not going to get up and celebrate. But I'm not going to just act like I think he made the wrong decision. "Yeah. That's a good word for it. I know they're pissy but when you're -we're- winning Grammies and rewards for music, and awards for our channel, you'll be happier. I can promise you that it's you and me, and you can come to me for absolutely anything you need, yeah?"
Scott sighed, and then nodded. "Thanks, sis...all I want to do right now is sleep. I'm so tired. Trying to work up the courage to make a decision has led for some sleepless nights." I nodded, smiling a little bit more.
"Then you sleep. I'll be here still when you wake up."
"Oh no. I'll crush your tiny fragile body," Scott looked up at me, meeting my eyes. "We can't have that."
I 'tsked.' "You're a warm blonde muscular teddy bear. I'm not complaining, aren't I?"
He looked at me skeptically. "I don't know. I don't feel like having to pay for a spine transplant or whatever."
"I don't think you can transplant a spine, sis."
"Oh." He grunted, shifting so his head was father up on my chest. "Well that's unfortunate."
"Very."
"It's the sleep talking, I hope you know that." He mumbled, closing his eyes. I laughed a little, but tried to keep it contained since he could hear my heartbeat as well as feel my attempt to hold in my laughing. Something made me want to keep him comfortable.
After all, he did break up with his Alex to stay here.
So this is my favor to him. Nothing more...and nothing less.
...
Oh, who the hell do I think I'm fooling?
Absolutely nobody.