Chapter 13

“Are you excited, Emmy?” Summer questioned her as she stretched her legs.

“Why should I be excited?” Emmy asked her as she too stretched.

“It’s our first track meet,” Summer told her.

Emmy laughed at Summer’s comment, “Why should I be happy I’m about to start running.”

Summer shrugged as she stopped stretching and began to bounce on the tips of her toes, “Well, I’, excited this is my first ever sporting event that I’m going to participate in.”

“Trust me you won’t be that excited once you begin sweating, especially since it’s freezing cold because it’s almost the middle of November,” Emmy pointed out.

Summer lightly pushed her friend away from her, “Don’t be such a pessimist, Emmy.”

Emmy rolled her eyes, “I feel that I’m more of a realist.”

“Yeah, whatever come on let’s go meet up with the rest of the team,” Summer said nodding towards the track team behind them.

“Yeah, you go ahead I’ll catch up, I need to go get my water bottle,” Emmy told her as she began to head back into the girls’ outdoor locker room.

“Alright,” Summer replied before she jogged away to catch up with the rest of the team.

Emmy stepped into the girls’ locker room and headed over to her bag. She dug through her bag until she pulled out her cold water bottle. Emmy quickly unscrewed the top and took a sip.

“Hey Emmy,” a voice called out to Emmy.

Emmy jumped in shock almost dropping her water bottle in the process. She spun around only to find Ian standing a few feet from her. Emmy immediately placed her hand over her fast beating heart, in an attempt to slow it down.

“Ian you scared me,” Emmy snapped as her heartbeat began to slow to a normal pace.

“Sorry,” Ian told her with a shrug smiling sheepishly.

“What are you doing here anyways?” Emmy questioned arching an eyebrow.

“Well, we have at least thirty minutes to spend before the meet starts, and I wanted to spend it with you,” Ian said stepping closer to her still smiling.

Emmy backed away a few steps, “You do realize that there are at least a hundred people barely fifty yards away from us, don’t you?”

Ian nodded, “Yeah, but they have nothing to do with us.”

“But you’re the one who wants everything to be done in secret,” Emmy pointed out.

Ian shrugged before he headed over to the door, kicking away the door stopper letting the door swing shut before locking it, “Well, now we’re alone Emmy. What’s your excuse going to be this time?”

Emmy thought about what she could say that would make him leave. Until she realized there was nothing she could say that would make him leave. For the sole reason that she didn’t want him to leave. Emmy knew what she was doing was wrong, and that should would probably be hurt in the long run. She knew she liked him far more than he did her, but she just couldn’t stop.

Emmy realizing she needed to answer his question, said, “I don’t have an excuse.”

Ian grinned as he quickly walked over to her, “That’s exactly what I wanted to hear,” he said wrapping an arm around her waist as he pulled her close to him, before pressing his lips to hers in a passionate kiss.

Ian slowly began to walk backwards pulling Emmy along with him; until the back of his knees knocked into the wooden bench in the middle of the locker room. He quickly sat down on the bench, pulling Emmy down on his lap still kissing her.