Chapter 20

Two months had passed since the town of Redwood had found out about Emmy's secret. Emmy felt as if her life was slowly turning to normal. All of her classmates were focused on getting back college acceptance letters. Those who weren't were actively looking for jobs to do after high school. Everyone was bracing for the weeks before the end of their high school careers. No one had time any more to worry about gossip. Except for Summer and Kara who were still refusing to talk to her.

Emmy felt as if Kara was slowly coming around though. Kara had greeted her in the hallways the past few months. They'd even managed to carry on a polite conversation a few days ago. The person Emmy was most worried about was Summer. She knew Summer would hold the grudge all the way up until the day they left for college. Emmy figured the only way to get Summer to talk to her again was to explain why she did what she did.

The past few months, Ian never really talked to her. He sent her an apology text in February and that was the extent of what he had to say to her. It made Emmy realize that the only foundation to their relationship was sex. Nothing else was involved no respect, no feelings no communication. After these past months Emmy understood why there relationship had gone nowhere, and she was glad it hadn't. She was happy that the only thing she'd I wanted in Ian was sex, and some unrequited feelings. Emmy was glad that she never had the chance to fall in love with him, otherwise she would be hurt even worse.

Emmy stepped out of the school after her last class of the day was over. She had her gym bag slung over her shoulder. She was heading down to the soccer field where varsity tryouts were about to start. Before everything with Ian became public news, Emmy had hoped to become captain. Now she wasn't so sure that she would obtain the position, as it was voted on by the team.

She relished the feeling of the slightly warm March air. Emmy was glad that winter would soon be gone, and in its place would be a gentle spring. She glanced at her watch to see what time it was, 3:02, she had twenty minutes until she needed to be dressed and on the field. Emmy was just about to step into the girls' outdoor locker room when a voice called out to her.

Emmy turned around to see April waving at her. Although, she was confused as to what April had to say to her Emmy cautiously waved back.

"Hey Emmy," April said in greeting once she stood in front of her.

"Hey April," Emmy answered still feeling confused.

"How have you been?" April asked as she fidgeted from foot to foot.

"Alright, and you?" Emmy said, now more puzzled then ever.

"I've been great. Aaron is the best baby ever, and he's starting to sleep longer during the night," April said the joy of a parent on her face.

"Oh, well that's cool," Emmy said shifting and glancing at the locker room behind her, "but I actually have to go get ready for soccer."

April's face feel slightly and she bit her lip, "Before you go, can I tell you something?"

"Sure, go ahead," Emmy replied shrugging after a quick glance at her watch.

"I was the one who told everyone about you and Ian," April said softly as she glanced away from Emmy.

Emmy shook her head unsure if she'd heard her correctly, "Excuse me?"

"I said I'm the one who told everyone about you and Ian," April said again as she shifted nervously.

"Why the hell would you have done that," Emmy asked feeling her face heat in anger.

"I was tired about everyone worrying about my life. So, I have them someone else to worry about."