Chapter 18

Dedicated to OreoChicAllDayErrDay for becoming and hopefully staying a dedicated commenter. Thanks :) 

"She is such a whore," were the words being whispered along the hallways of Redwood High, the day after New Year's.

Emmy glanced around wondering who everyone was talking about. No one was making eye contact with her, so she shrugged it off. She continued on her way to her homeroom. When Emmy stepped into her homeroom, she could've sworn she heard someone mutter slut. She looked to see who had said it, and who they were talking to, but no one was looking up.

Emmy made her way to her seat. She made it through a peculiarly silent homeroom, and got her schedule for second semester. The first class on her new schedule was English IV. Emmy walked across the school and into her class. She smiled happily once she realized Summer was in her class.

"Hey, how was the rest of your break," Emmy greeted Summer with a smile as she slid into the seat beside her best friend.

Summer turned to Emmy with an eyebrow arched and a frown on her face, "Excuse me, but are you talking to me?"

Emmy blinked taken aback by the way Summer was acting, "Of course I am Summer, you're my best friend."

Both of Summer's eyebrows rose and a smirk came across her face, "Really, you're my best friend?"

"Um yeah, why are you acting like this?" Emmy questioned staring at Summer confused.

Emmy had left after the party at Ian's to go spend the rest of the break with her grandparents. She hadn't had a chance to speak with any of her friends since then. Since she'd only gotten back last night, she had no idea why Summer was acting this way.

"I'm your friend, really?" Summer spoke, her tone taking on a snobby quality.

Emmy slowly nodded her head, "Why are you acting like this? We've been friends since preschool."

"We're friends really, because I wasn't aware that I was friends with sluts and liars," Summer snapped.

Emma's jaw dropped open, "What? Summer what are you talking about?"

"I don't know you, so I don't have to answer your questions," Summer smugly told her, as the teacher stepped in and began her lesson.

Emmy was utterly confused, and slightly pissed off during the entire lesson. She didn't know what Summer was talking about. Once the bell rang ending first, Emmy's eyes widened as she realized what Summer might be talking about. She gasped wondering if whoever had caught her and Ian at his party, had told everyone about them.

Emmy tried to catch up to Summer and ask her, but Summer was speed walking away from her. She changed her course when she spotted Ian at a locker a few feet from her. As Emmy made her way towards him the words slut and whore followed her. She wrapped her arms around herself; self consciously trying to defend herself from the hateful barbs spewing from her classmates' mouths.

"Ian," Emmy mumbled as she reached his locker.

"Yeah," he asked turning to face her and gazing around behind her.

"What's going on?" She muttered glancing anxiously around.

"What do you mean?" Ian questioned, not quite looking into her eyes.

"For one, my best friend refused to talk to me today. And every time I make a movement the words slut and whore follow me," Emmy muttered frowning.

"Oh, yeah, while you were gone someone told everyone about us," Ian whispered to her a look of pity in his eyes.

"What?" Emmy gasped shocked.