Chapter 17

*DEAN'S POV*

Two weeks! It had been two long, grueling weeks without Kimber. I called the police station every day. Sometimes 3 times a day but it was always the same thing. No new leads. It had taken an effect on me. I haven't slept or ate anything and I was sucking in the ring. Not to mention I hadn't talked to hardly anyone and the liquor stores were starting to know me by name.

I sat against the wall in my hotel room and took a swig of whiskey, observing the aftermath of yet another horrible phone call to the detectives. I kind of felt bad for the hotels and the cleaning services lately. It was always a horrible sight to see after my explosive fits. Maybe I should take time off and help look for Kimber since the detectives were obviously not doing their jobs.

I took another swig of whiskey and picked up my phone. I tried to call Kimber every day but every time it went straight to voicemail which was full thanks to me. I thought about it for awhile before I set my phone back down and took another swig of whiskey. She wasn't going to answer so why should I even try to call her. I should just give up like everyone else. She's probably dead by now.

But somewhere deep down told me I couldn't give up. Kimber was alive out there somewhere and until it was proven otherwise, I had to hang on. I had to believe. It was one of the things she had taught me. To believe. Just like she had believed in me when I had left her all those years ago.

Just then my phone vibrated on the floor next to me. After a few minutes of debating I picked it up to check the text message that had just come through. I opened the text and the bottle of whiskey fell from my hands and shattered on the floor.

Cincinnati

That's all it said but it was from Kimber. She was alive and trying to give me a hint as to where she was. She was back in Cincinnati.

I quickly texted back but before I could hit send another text came through from Kimber.

Don't text back. Hiding phone. Send more when can.

I could tell she was trying to hurry. Her messages were usually well written but these were short and sweet. She was safe and alive. That's all I needed to know. I quickly searched online for the next available flight to Cincinnati and began packing my bags. I made a quick call to the police station that was helping in the case and left my hotel room. Thank god, I had the next two days off. I was going to find Kimber in the next two days off if it was the last thing I did...

*EARLY THE NEXT MORNING*

I stepped out of the airport and turned my phone back on. I quickly made my way to the rental car company but stopped just outside their doors as another text came through.

Oak ave.

It was Kimber with another clue. I read the street name over and over again. The name looked so familiar. I locked my phone and quickly walked in to get a car.

I sped through the city to the police station. I was meeting with the detectives to update them on everything I knew about the situation. I just needed the house number and then I could rescue my sweet angel.

As the meeting came to close though, my heart had dropped. No new messages from Kimber had come through and Oak ave stretched for several blocks and was loaded with residential homes. It would take way too long to search each house and by then, Greg would have already killed her.

I reluctantly left the station and agreed to meet with them right away in the morning. I don't know why but I began driving to oak ave. I drove around the street for awhile trying to figure out what house it might be. But I had no idea. I banged my fists on the steering wheel as I sat in the parking lot of an old business. And again I cried. Was it too much to ask for my Kimber back safe and sound?

After 10 minutes I started heading towards my hotel. I was almost there when another text came in. It was Kimber.

1057

The house number finally! I whipped my car around and headed back towards oak ave as I called the detectives again...

*KIMBER'S POV*

I lost track of how long I had been gone. The days had faded into the nights being locked in this basement. Greg hadn't been the most hospitable. He was worse than I had imagined. He had locked me in the basement of an old house with a small bed on the floor and bucket for me to use as a toilet. He fed me once a day but I didn't eat. I was too scared.

I don't know what had come over me the past few days though. When I knew Greg was out or fast asleep, I had snuck upstairs, using a Bobby pin to pick the lock. I had never thought it would work but Jon had been right. It was pretty way to do.

I had snuck upstairs and found my phone and figured out where I was from a piece of mail Greg had left on the table. It had saddened me when I had realized where I was. The house that had started it all.

I heard the front door close and Greg's new car start up. I scrambled to the loose brick in the wall and slowly pulled it away and dug out my phone. I sent him a quick text letting him know the house number. It shouldn't be much longer now and I will be out of here.

"Well, well," I heard a voice say from by the stairs. "I was wondering where your phone had gone. Did you tell little lover boy where you were?"

I looked up with fear in my eyes. It was Greg. Oh I was in for it now. He took a few steps closer to me and slapped me hard across the face. "I hope he hurries because he is going to be finding a pile of ashes if he don't. You better hope that he is in town," Greg said as he marched up the stairs. "you're going to die in this house just like your mother!"

I heard the door lock and scrambled to the top of the stairs. I could hear Greg pouring something on the floor and it didn't take me long to realize what it was. Gas. He was going to start the house on fire with me in it.

I ran back down the steps as I began to smell a faint hint of smoke. I grabbed my phone and called Jon. When he answered I didn't give him time to talk. "Jon, you need to hurry. He started the house on fire and now I'm going to die here just like my mom" I sobbed.

"Calm down, Kimber. I'm on my way and so are the cops," he replied.

I watched as smoke began to fill the basement. I felt hot tears flowing down my cheeks. "It's too late Jon. Just know that I love you."

I could hear him yelling at me to hold on but I couldn't. I just remember the smell of smoke and lack of oxygen coursing through me. I couldn't breath. I couldn't hang on...