Chapter Fifty

"Um, Harry? You got another jumper."

Harry closed his eyes at the sound of Ron's voice and tried desperately to contain his blush. Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes and turned around with a gracious smile on his lips.

"Thank you, Lavender. But, you do know I'm not the thief this time, right?"

"Oh, no, Harry. I wouldn't dream of thinking that. It's just that you once commented that you liked that jumper so I thought you might like to have it. Think of it as a Christmas gift," the girl said with as much honesty that could be fabricated. She then giggled and scampered away to her waiting friends at the other side of the table. Ron grimaced as he passed the pink and yellow floral jumper to Harry.

"Well, it is really silky like," Ron offered. Harry sighed.

"You believe me, right, Ron? You don't think I'm the thief this time, right?" Harry asked desperately while unconsciously rubbing the floral material between his fingers. Ron quickly swallowed the juice he had been drinking and shook his head.

"Nah, you have better taste. I figure you'd have nicked my scarf again."

"Yeah, well, thanks," Harry grumbled. That made three jumpers, two scarves, and an old baby blanket that he had received as 'gifts' from his housemates. All within the breakfast hour. Harry had never been so grateful that the Hogwart's Express would soon be leaving and taking most of the students with it.

"Harry, I think it's rather sweet that they are actually offering you these things," Hermione said as she cut her eggs. "They believe you are trying to build another den. They just want to help."

Harry sighed. "I know, I know. It's just kind of embarrassing."

The Great Hall started to clear out as the students left to finish any last minute packing or gift giving. Hermione looked up at the large clock and wiped her mouth with a napkin.

"Harry, are you absolutely sure that you want to stay here? I thought you had finished with your depressing feelings." Hermione looked at him closely.

"Yeah, I am. But I still feel like staying here. The books don't have a whole lot of information about it, but I think it's that whole dumb nesting thing. I would just feel really uncomfortable anywhere else but here right now. Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, mate," Ron said, wiping his mouth also, with the back of his sleeve. "Mum understands. She told me that the house was never cleaner then when she was pregnant with one of us. Said she wanted everything perfect for when it was time for us to appear." He shrugged. "Pretty normal thing."

Harry chuckled. "Good, at least for once I'm doing something normal."

"Alright, I'm going up to get my cloak. I'll meet you both down here in about fifteen minutes." Hermione stood up and left the table. Both boys rolled their eyes and smiled at Hermione's casually tossed out order.

"Potter!"

Harry looked up and saw a Slytherin uniform approaching and his heart sped up even as his instincts knew better.

"What do you want, Zabini?" Ron asked, instantly on the offensive.

"Stand down, Weasley. I'm here to give Potter something." Blaise held out a small box.

Harry looked at the box. "What is it?" he asked concerned. The nastiest surprises could come in the smallest packages.

Blaise had already started to leave but he turned back and shrugged. "Don't know. Just told to deliver it." Then he was gone. Harry looked over to the Slytherin table and immediately zeroed in on white blonde hair. But the silver eyes were trained on another Slytherin and the words and laughter were not for Harry.