Chapter 19

As I walked towards the entrance of the lab, my mind was busy reviewing my personal resolve to help myself get back on track.

I shall forget about everything that happened for the past few weeks and start a clean slate.

It has been sort of my mantra for the past 24 hours. I shall tuck those painful memories somewhere deep down my consciousness just so I could go on living without wearing myself down. If undesirable things happen to me from this day onwards, I shall confront them a day at a time. Thats how I should be dealing with my life from now on. The mishap would have to take a back seat, the trunk even.

I.have.to.take.control.of.my.life.again

I walked towards the area where our biometric log is located. I pressed my thumb on the scanner and waited for my profile to appear on the screen, confirming my successful log in.

"You don't look like someone who had her job saved by some form of supernatural miracle." Someone spoke from behind me. I turned around and found a grinning Finn. He opened his arms offering a hug which I willingly accepted.

"How are you? I mean, you obviously look 10 years older than your age, but I want to know how you're coping with everything." He said with concern. I gave him a smile and replied,

"Thanks for your concern, Finn. The past few days has been hell, but I think I'll live. How about you? How's your new work environment?" I asked trying to pry the spotlight from me.

"Piece of cake and you are not deviating from the topic. My story's boring and yours is the talk of the halls. I am your friend and I'll be damned if I fall behind the latest gossips here. So, spill!" He said in a low, but excited tone. Finn's obviously on the feminine side, however, he doesn't like acting out openly, specially at work.

"So you could spread the love of gossip and put me in more trouble? No thanks. You can try snooping somewhere else for juicier scoops." I said in a bored manner. He looked taken aback, even offended actually.

"Excuse me, Ms. Quinn. I may be a hypothesis and trivial information enthusiast, but I'm not a gossipmonger, specially when it comes to my friends. I just don't want to be the last one to find out about current events, specially ones that involve my pals." He dignified. I just rolled my eyes and gave in.

"Then, what do you want to know or confirm?"

"I heard that you threatened the manager to inform the COO, who happened to be your "NEW ACQUAINTANCE" about getting fired unjustly in the event she decided to do so. Is it true?" He asked. I just closed my eyes and sighed. I didn't expect my little stunt last meeting would grow in this magnitude. I guess I was too desperate to hang on to my last straw that I didn't consider the possible repercussion of my actions. That annoying gossip, how true it may be, is very demeaning to the manager's integrity, and no matter how unprofessional she was or how desperate I was, I think she doesn't deserve that kind of recurrent humiliation.

"I don't know where that absurd rumor came from. We both know that I'm not in good terms with the COO. Why would I claim such?" I replied without any hint of hesitation to seem more convincing.

He snorted, "You're no fun. If you feel like gushing, my ear's always available." He waved as he walked towards the exit of the lab, striding towards the factory, where his office is located. My eyes just followed his back.

"First, no respect to authority. Second, threatening a superior. Third, denial of wrongdoings. Fourth, fabricating a good relationship with the COO. In the span of four days, Miss Quinn, I've witnessed your "interesting" actions which speaks a lot about your character. I wonder, what other surprising qualities you have in stored for us."