Chapter 23

Another loud sigh. Still, I didn't utter a word and continued boring a hole onto the wall.

"Don't even think about denying it. I know his presence was the reason why you messed up yesterday. You mentioned before that you weren't in good terms with him. Why? What happened?" He pried.

I was contemplating what to tell him, however, his persistence made me wonder about his purpose.

"With all due respect, sir, if I may ask, why do you want to know?" It was my turn to give him a calculating look. He looked away and sighed for the hundredth time.

"I don't usually stick my nose in other people's business; however, if your relationship with him is not good, as what you've said before, then it could definitely compromise your job. I want to know what happened because as your senior, it is part of my responsibilities to guide you and to address whatever issues you have concerning your job." He explained.

I nodded in understanding. I thought that he really hated my guts and just couldn't wait to get rid of me, however, I think I was the one who misjudged him. He sounded genuinely concerned and that made me feel warm. I guess I'm not exactly unwanted here.

"I-uh unintentionally offended Mr. Morein in the past, not knowing his identity. I already apologized yesterday and he accepted it. You have nothing to worry about in that regard, sir."

I owe him the truth, at the very least, however, that doesn't mean he has to know what actually had transpired. Mr. Dunn squinted his eyes at me looking dubious. Well, if he won't believe my words, that's not my problem anymore.

"In the short period that I have known you, Miss Quinn, I have learned that you have a knack in putting things lightly without deviating from the facts. I am honestly very curious as to HOW EXACTLY you "offended" our COO, but on second thought, perhaps I don't really want to know. Well, if you think that he won't be hampering your job here, then, I guess I have nothing to worry about."

I just nodded in acknowledgment. I'm glad that he didn't pry for more details because I'll be damned, but I won't spill a single detail. I don't want to ignite any rumors as that will just complicate my life even more.

He leaned on his chair and caressed his chin.

"Well, shit. I don't know if you are that unlucky in life or you just have a talisman that was made to attract trouble. First, you happened to catch our dear manager's stink eye on day one, then hopped onto the bad side of the COO three weeks later. What's next?

Perhaps, I forgot to consider the fact that maybe you keep on finding yourself in hot water because you are the one who LOVES to initiate "pleasant conversations" with the wrong people. I honestly don't know what to do with you, Georgina Quinn." He said while shaking his head wearily.

"I guess its all of the above and more?" I replied in a questioning manner. To my surprise, he started laughing.

"Alright, I surrender, Georgina. Just get the hell out of my office and get to work." He said winded

Puzzled, I just got up and headed for the door. As I was about to turn the knob, I remembered something and turned around. He was already on his phone, typing while sporting a very genuine smile. I cleared my throat and he snapped his head up, looking quite startled that I haven't left yet.

"By the way sir, I-uh.. I want to thank you for your kind words. It really meant a lot to me." I smiled and he smiled back then replied.

"I've never really disliked you, Georgina. I know you're a good person and a good employee. If you continue working the way you do, you'll go far in this company. Just... Just tone down your cause for justice from time to time, okay?"