Chapter 8

Poison and I decided to check outside. We closed the door and walked around slowly. I took a deep breath, letting the cool night air calm me down. The base was a mess, torn apart from the walls. There only two walls stabilizing the building.

"They're going to burn our building to the ground," Poison mumbled to himself. He turned to face me. "We need to get there."

"It's dangerous to go now. Especially on foot," I stated. "But you're right. We need to get there." I looked around. It was pitch dark and cold. "Let's inform them." We walked back down the trap door and into the worried faces of the other Killjoys.

"The place is trashed, but reparable. No drac in sight. We need to head back our base," Poison announced.

"We?" someone asked.

"This is Black Dynamite. She and her team are now part of the Fabulous Killjoys," Poison spoke above the noise. "She and I are the leaders and she is my partner." Mumbling broke through the crowd. "I suggest you help Night Owl and Cherry Blossom repair their base since they gave you a place to hide."

"We should go now," I told Poison.

"Stay safe guys. And watch after each other," Poison stated to the rest. We gathered our bags. A Killjoy stood in front of us, blocking our way out.

"Take this. We wouldn't want you to run out of carbons," she said and handed me her carbons. We nodded gratefully at her.

"Thank you," I told her. "We need to go." She stepped aside only for Missile Kid to stand defiantly in front of us.

"You said you'd keep me safe," she said and crossed her arms.

"We will, Kid," Poison promised and crouched down to look at her. "But the journey we are about to make is long and dangerous, especially since they are looking for you. I promise we will be back." I ushered Blossom over.

"This is Cherry Blossom, she'll take care of you," I told her. "We'll be back soon, Kid. We promise." She sniffed and nodded. I looked at Blossom, and she nodded, understanding what I meant. Poison and I got out and started heading to base. We ran most of the time, stopping every so often to regain our strength and resumed on a walk. Our sprints didn't last long. Poison pulled me down and we hid in the sand. A car drove by. We waited until it was out of sight before continuing our journey.

"Is your transmitter on?" he asked with a shaky voice.

"Yeah," I responded. "Nothing but static." My heart broke. No news about my sister or my two best friends or my new teammates. I covered my face with my hands and took a deep breath. I need to stop thinking the worst.

"They'll be fine," Poison whispered. It sounds like he was trying to convince himself. "Ready?" I nodded. He held my hand and together we exited Zone 4, entering Zone 5. After maybe half an hour of running, we stopped and began walking. I regained my breath and drank some water. I ran a hand through my mattered hair. I shoved Poison down and we hid from two draculoid cars. "There ought to be a better way other than shoving each other when we see a drac." I rolled my eyes and stood up. I pulled Poison up but lost my balance. We both fell and he ended up on top of me. I glanced into his hazel eyes and started laughing like crazy. He soon joined me and we had a good laugh.

"We needed that. We needed a laugh," I said and stood up. I helped Poison up. We glanced at each other in the eyes for a while. I cleared my throat and we started walking again.

"We're almost there. Want to run the rest of the way?" he asked. I nodded. He grabbed my hand and we ran to the base. The base came into view and I stopped, making Poison nearly fall. We glanced at the trashed diner. We made our way inside and found the place even more messed up. Electrical wires were hanging from the ceiling; the tables were ripped from the ground; the wallpaper was ripped off...it was all trashed. Glass crunched under my boots. I kicked open the door to Dr. D's broadcast room to find all the equipment missing. There was a sheet of paper on the table that said KEEP RUNNING.