Chapter 16

I woke up in pain. That's the only way I could describe it. I was sore all over, but the pain mostly came from my leg. I opened my eyes slowly.  I felt a rush of déjà vu run through me when I noticed I was in the same room I woke up from my coma. I sat up with a groan. My left leg was tied tightly to a rod to hold it in place. "Dynamite." I turned my head and found Ghoul sitting in the seat next to mine.

"Where is he?" I demanded.

"Battery City," he reluctantly told me. "Our inside people are telling us he is alive."

"For now." I took a deep breath. "How long have I been unconscious?"

"About eight hours," he answered. He stood up when I tried getting off the bed. "Dynamite, we're going to get him back. You can't put any weight on your leg right now."

"Then get me a damn wheelchair, but I can't sit here and do nothing," I shouted. The door opened, revealing Princess and Cherry. "I need to talk to the rogues before they leave. Ge – Poison and I came up with a plan Is it almost sunset?"

"In an hour or two. But you need to tell us what happened first," Princess said calmly.

"You were shot three times, Dynamite. There's still carbon poison in your blood system."

"Take me to the team. Now. Or else I will go on my own," I demanded. Ghoul sighed before nodding. Princess shook her head and stormed out angrily. Cherry and Ghoul helped me get in a wheelchair. Adrenaline was coursing through my body.

"Fabulous Killjoys, to the diner," Ghoul said through his transmitter. By the time we reached the diner, Kobra, Jet, Princess, Toxic, and Dr. D were waiting for us. The rogues and other Killjoys were waiting in the shooting range. Many were practicing, others were working on cars, the rest were just standing there or talking. Everyone smiled at me except Kobra. He wouldn't make eye contact with me.

"Black Dynamite," Dr. D stated with a nod. "Tell us what happened." I took a deep breath and nodded.

"After Ghoul informed us that the rogues planned on leaving by sunset, I told Poison to stop the car. We came up with a plan and while I talked, the car was coated with desert dust so we couldn't see outside. The car got stuck so we had to push it, but when I got out, I saw the dracs lined in front of us. Poison and I fought and shot most of them, but then I started losing focus. I was shot in my leg and I couldn't stand up. Poison thought I was dying. He tried to protect me. But then the dracs began dragging him away." I paused and took a deep breath and tried to stop the tears forming in my eyes. "He begged me to shoot him. I knew I had to. The things Korse would do to him...but I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to kill him. After he was taken, I called for help." The room was quiet. Now no one would look at me, but Kobra was staring at me angrily.

"This is your fault," he spat. I shut my mouth tightly. "He stopped because of you. This is all your fault!"

"I didn't know," I whispered weakly.

"My brother is suffering because of you!" Kobra shouted. "You should've just killed him!" He stood up and ran out of the diner. Toxic shot me an apologetic look before going after him.

"Dynamite, this isn't your fault," Jet told me.

"Tell that to Poison," I snapped. I wheeled myself out of the diner and into the desert.

"Dynamite, what are you doing?" Princess said.

"Putting a stop to this." I went to the ladder and began climbing to the dinner's roof.

"Dynamite! Stop being reckless. You're going to hurt yourself!" I hauled myself on the roof and took deep breaths. I glanced down and saw Ghoul holding Princess tightly. I supported myself against a pole and waited. Waited for everyone to turn to look at me so I could speak. Within moments, everyone was staring up at me.