Epilogue

"Mommy!" my six-year-old daughter exclaimed. I reached out and picked her up from the floor. "Mommy, Dad said we could go to the beach today!" I felt Gerard's presence next to me. I kissed her forehead

"Only if you help me clean your room," I told her.

"Too late! I already cleaned it!" I grinned at her.

"Okay. Then let's make some sandwiches to take with us. Go wash your hands first." I let her down gently.

"Annabeth convinced me, Lucia," Gerard stated with a laugh. I held his hand tightly. Almost seven years ago, Gerard and I left the city that was once called Battery City. Now it's been given its original name, Los Angeles. The desert land began to grow life again. We live in our old base, remodeled to fit my disability. We live on the edge of the city, close to the entrance of the growing forest.

"Our daughter can convince anyone," I responded with a smile. We still keep in touch with everyone. Especially Mikey and Jasmine who live down the road from us. Gerard and I weren't married, officially anyways. To get married, we'd have to go to the city. Neither of us wanted to return to the place with haunting memories.

"Mommy, let's make the food!" Annabeth exclaimed. She tugged at my arm and pulled me into our kitchen. I was still holding onto Gerard, so he got pulled along.

"I'll handle the sandwiches," Gerard said and kissed my cheek. "The picnic basket is under the third cabinet." I nodded. I have gotten used to being blind. I was able to maneuver around my house easily. In public, I was never alone, so I never had much trouble getting somewhere. I grabbed the basket and placed it on the counter.

"No peanuts, Dad! I'm allergic!" Annabeth scolded. I giggled and wrapped my arms around Gerard's healthy body.

"I'll go get us some blankets and towels," I said with a smile. Gerard kissed my forehead before I left the kitchen. I went to our hallway closet and grabbed the items. I placed them in a bag and swung it over my shoulder. Our home was only one story, but it was big. Despite the memories that the diner held, both good and bad, we decided to stay here. It felt right compared to the other places we tried to live in after we returned from exploring the country.

"Mooooooooooom, let's goooooooooo!" Annabeth exaggerated and began dragging me out of the house. "I want to collect more seashells."

"I promise you we will collect the most beautiful seashells out there, princess," I said and scooped her up in my arms. "But we also have to wait for your dad. He has the food, remember?"

"Daaaaaaaaaaaaad! Are you done yet?!" Annabeth shouted. "Mommy wants to go to the beach already!" I held my giggling and dramatic daughter tightly in my arms as she squirmed around. I heard Gerard's feet approach us. A warm kiss was planted on my lips. "Eww, Dad, let's get to the beach first before you start giving Mommy any more kisses." I placed Annabeth down as we began leaving.

"Annabeth Bandit Way, I will love your mommy until eternity," Gerard said. I felt his hand slip into mine. We started walking. We don't live too far from the beach, there was no point in taking the car.

"Can you love her on the beach?" she questioned.

"Why do you think you are here – ow!" I elbowed him in the chest. We both laughed while Annabeth was probably staring at us in confusion. Gerard leaned in and whispered in my ear, "It's true, isn't it? This is the beach where we decided to spend the rest of our life together."

"Our little girl isn't ready to know about the details," I scolded. It's true, what he said. Annabeth was unexpected.

"I can hear the seagull!" Annabeth screamed. She tugged at mine Gerard's hand and began running towards the beach. The ground shifted from cement to sand.