Chapter 20

My eyes felt like they were glued down together. I couldn't open my eyes, but I could hear people talking. "You couldn't do anything?"

"No. Dynamite had too much poison in her system. If we wasted another minute, it could have been too late to save her at all. She's lucky, Poison. I'm sorry for not being able to speak to you sooner."

"Gerard."

"All in due time. The funerals will start tonight."

"Thank you, Dr. Death. I wish you would tell me your name."

"That's for another time. Take care." Silence for a moment before a sigh escaped from Gerard.

"Lucia..." he said. I felt him take my right hand into his warm ones. "You need to wake up. You've been unconscious for two days." The bed indented slightly, signaling he has sat down. "People call me crazy for caring so much about you. I may not know you as much as Princess did, but I still care for you. I worry for you. I've never felt this way before. Please don't leave me alone again." I tried to open my eyes but just remained asleep. Mostly. Gerard kept is hand firmly against mine, that's all I could feel. All I could focus on.

"Gerard," I managed to say. The sudden movement of the bed told me he heard me. He placed his hand on my cheek. "I can't open my eyes." There were a few seconds of silence.

"Your eyes are open, Lucia," he stated slowly. He reached over and shut my lids.

"I don't see anything," I said, anxiety coursing through my body. "What happened?"

"It's a side effect of the carbon poison. It should wear off soon." There was an edge to his voice.

"What happened to me? I heard you and Dr. D talking." He caressed my cheek and let out a slow breath.

"I'll tell you later. You need to rest now," Gerard murmured. I shook my head lightly.

"Just tell me now," I begged. I felt him plant a kiss on my cheek.

"Rest. I'll be here until you can see again," he urged me. He squeezed my hand lightly.

"I told you I wasn't going anywhere," I said with a smile.

"Well, neither am I," he responded.

"Why is it so cold here?" I asked.

"We're not in the zones anymore. We're in Battery City."

"It's freezing in here." I sat up. I didn't want to rest. I reached my hand out and placed it on his cheek. "You're warm."

"And you are freezing," he said. "Scoot aside." I moved to the left and Gerard sat down next to me. He wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my fingers gently. "You aren't going to sleep, are you?" I shook my head.

"Do you need me to ask again or are you going to tell me?" I asked quietly. He sighed.

"You..." he began, speaking with a soft voice. "Just...stay calm, okay?" I nodded. He took a deep breath. He lifted my eyelids. My eyesight remained blank.

"I don't understand," I spoke slowly. "I know I got shot in my arm and leg. Why can't I see?"

"By the time I got you to Dr. Death Defying, the poison traveled to your brain," he explained in a gentle tone. "It infected your eyesight. The carbon poison was still spreading through your body. There was nothing they could do about your eyes. Your arm and leg will be okay in due time. You got shot in your knee and elbow. It separated your bones." I placed my hand on my eyes. I took several deep breaths to calm down. "Lucia, are you okay?" I nodded. I squinted my eyes and shook my head lightly.