Chapter 19

"Fools!" Korse shouted as he entered his office. I flinched at the sudden noise. "You had one job! To keep two injured and weakened Killjoys under control and you lost them! They slipped through your fingers."

"Sir, they were disguised as draculoids, no one would have been able to tell them apart," another voice stammered. I took a deep breath. I moved my finger ever so slightly and turned my transmitter on, leaving it on a low volume.

"Kill them. Kill them all!" Korse growled.

"The citizens–"

"I don't care about the citizens! If those Killjoys keep coming in the city, we will be done for good! I need that treacherous Black Dynamite in my captivity immediately. If she gets her lover and sister, we will have nothing against her. Bring her to me. NOW!" Two pairs of footsteps ran out, the door slamming shut behind them. "Idiots. Idiots! How could I let this happen?" I heard him pause his pacing. From the minimal reflections, I could see him leaning down on his desk. I turned the chair around. I took a final breath before launching myself against him. I tackled him down on the floor and pinned my gun against his forehead.

"I don't know, but you did. So here I am," I hissed. For a split second, I saw fear flash through his eyes.

"Foolish little girl," he laughed. He pushed me away from him harshly. I crashed into the wall. I regained my breath and stood on my feet. I spat some blood out. I kept my stance firm and prepared for any move. "My, my. Don't you think it's too soon for you to be on your feet?"

"Why? Why do you do this? What's the point?" I asked.

"Some people are born leaders."

"You weren't."

"But I made myself a leader. I rescued this world."

"Your world is burning. You are done for," I hissed.

"Will you kill the only man who knows where your family is?" I faltered for a second before regaining my stance.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Your parents. Don't you want to know what happened to them? Or have you forgotten them?" I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

"Dynamite! Don't listen to him, our parents died!" I heard Princess shout through the transmitter. "He's trying to trick you!" I took a deep breath.

"You don't remember them, do you?" he sneered. "Your poor mother drank herself to death. Your father abandoned your twin sister at a train station." I shook my head.

"You can't get to me. You never will," I stated. I saw the frustration build inside him. In a split second, he picked me up and launched me on the other side of the room. I heard the sickling sound of my bones cracking before sliding down to the floor. I tried to stop my head from spinning and my body from aching. Korse tried swinging at my face, but I dodged him away and rammed my foot into his stomach. He stumbled backward and collapsed against his desk. I grabbed a metal globe and slammed it against his head. Blood spurted out of the wound and ran down his face.

"What do you think will happen after you kill me?" he snapped. "Do you believe that this miserable world will live through?" He pulled his ray gun out and shot me in the arm. I cried out in pain and shot him in the leg. He reached out and ripped my mask away. "Do you think you, a pathetic girl with nothing to live for, can rescue this godforsaken place?"

"We'll find a way," I growled through my pain. "A better world without you, Korse."

"You don't know how to fix the people. They are broken. They will never smile or laugh or be creative." I shook my head. He shot aimlessly. The bullet hit my knee. I fell but managed to knock the gun out of his hand.