Chapter 21

"Do you have any idea what I have been through?" she asked. "When you abandoned me and left me with a bunch of strangers?"

"It was for your own good. I couldn't help you. You were sick!" I exclaimed.

"Don't try to play the hero in this," she snapped. "Just drop the act, Dynamite."

"You betrayed us. For Korse. What did you get in return?"

"Safety. Protection. There was a reason I never got shot," Princess hissed. "He helped me after you abandoned me. The team you left me with also abandoned me. I was dying in the middle of the desert. And Korse offered to aid me if I gave him information, so I did."

"And you don't regret it? You made us believe you; you made me believe Avery!" I shouted. "I'm your twin sister!"

"Don't be so naïve." I remained silent. "I stopped trusting you ever since I joined the Unwanted Killjoy." I shook my head.

"You disgust me." I took a deep breath "You made Frank love you. How do you think that makes him feel?"

"That was never the plan. And how do you know about that? You just woke up."

"People talk. People who are hurt talk more," I stated. I felt tears burn my eyes. "How do you know I just woke up?"

"You're Black Dynamite. Everyone speaks about you. It's always been that way."

"You're the reason I didn't get any backup when I killed Korse."

"If you wanted backup, you wouldn't have sent us off like that with Night Owl," she snapped. "I was just doing my job. I wasn't going to die because of you."

"I'm blind because of you," I screamed. She remained silent.

"Blind?" she repeated. She sounded vulnerable for a moment. "You don't understand...I didn't have a choice. If I didn't give them information about us, they would kill dad and me."

"So you knew he was alive."

"Of course I did," she scoffed. "I'm not stupid."

"I can't help you. I want to say that I can convince them that Korse manipulated you, but I can't. I really can't."

"I thought you cared about me, that you would do anything to keep me safe. When you 'rescued' me from BL/ind, you immediately went to Poison. You didn't even glance at me until we were ready to leave."

"I thought you cared about us," I hissed. There was a sudden jolt and rattle of metal.

"Stop pretending like you're the only one hurting!" she shouted. The door opened.

"Enough," Gerard said sternly. "Come on, Lucia. I think that's enough." He began pushing my wheelchair.

"It's always been about you," Avery spat as the door closed.

"Hey, look at me," Gerard said softly. I lifted my head up. "It's over. You managed to get her to say more than anyone else."

"I could go for a bath or shower," I told him after minutes of silence. "I heard the funerals start today."

"I keep nodding and forget you can't see me," he said guiltily.

"It's okay," I said instinctively.

"Yes, they do start today. Would you like to come?" I nodded.

"They died because of my plan. I have to be there."

"They died fighting got what they thought was right. It isn't your fault, Lucia. They know that they signed up for." He kissed my forehead. "I'll get Heather to come and help you with the bath."