Secrets

So this was requested by @PastelElephant, hope it's what you wanted!

Lauren's POV

So my wife of three years, Y/N, has been really distant with me lately. I'm not the only one who has noticed because the girls will make a comment here and there about her absence, physically and emotionally. It feels as though Y/N is gone a lot and every time she comes back home she seems to be really irritated and on edge. Y/N's personality is normally outgoing and upbeat, but recently she's been quiet and reserved.

I've also noticed that Y/N's physical appearance has changed. Her face seems like it's sinking in, there are dark circles under her eyes that make her look zombie-like, her normally full and toned body has thinned down significantly, so much so that her bones are becoming more prominent. I've seen this type of transformation in one other person before and the outcome was devastating...

Two years ago my brother Chris overdosed on pain medication and died. Apparently he had been buying and using them illegally for some time, but no one ever noticed anything was wrong with him until it was too late. No goodbyes, no letters, no explanation, he was just gone.

I spent so much time blaming myself, I mean there had to have been warning signs, but I was too selfish and too blind to see. But what I blamed most was the drugs. The drugs were to blame for taking my brother away from me. Losing Chris was the single most painful thing I have experienced in life, so I swore that from then on I would be more aware and more involved. I swore that I would never lose another loved one to drugs as long as I could help it.

After noticing all of the changes with Y/N, I can't help but notice how much she resembles Chris right before he passed away, and that scares me. I mean she knows how much I hate drugs and what they do to people, so that fact that there's even a slight possibility that she's using absolutely infuriates me.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard Y/N come down the stairs and walk into the living room. She was dressed in skinny jeans, a sweater, converse, and had her bag resting on her shoulder. She picked up her keys off of the coffee table that I was resting my feet on and began to head towards the door.

"Hey babe, where are you going?" I asked her.

"Oh I... I umm I'm gunna go meet Camila for coffee, I'll be back in a bit" she said with a hint of nervousness in her voice.

"Oh okay" I smiled at her.

"Well I'll see you later" she began to open the door but stopped when I spoke up again, "Hey Y/NN, baby, you do know it's like 85 degrees outside right?" I questioned.

"Yeah, so what?" she said in irritation.

I was taken aback a bit by her sudden outburst. "Well I mean... It's just you're wearing a sweater... I just don't want you to overheat" I pointed out shyly while making sure to keep from making eye contact with her.

"Jesus, what are you my mom?! I'll be fine!" she practically yelled at me.

"I-I... I'm sorry, I just don't want you to get sick..." I explained.

I saw her facial features begin to soften and she ran a hand through her hair to calm herself down. Y/N then looked up and started to walk over to me, sitting down next to me on the couch. She reached over to place her hand on my thigh, but I flinched. It's not that she's ever hurt me before, but lately with the way she's been acting I've been a little scared of her. A guilty expression flashed across her face.

"Babe, I'm sorry for getting upset with you... I-I didn't mean it, I promise" she said softly as she rubbed my thigh gently.

"I-It's okay" I mumbled as I focused my gaze on the ground.